Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mud dauber house idea? Question for bat house users

Posted by JeremyD none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 18:32

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the organic gardening forum, as mud dauber wasps would be a great natural caterpillar and spider control (with one species that also seems to specialize in Black and Brown widow spiders)
They are also amazingly docile compared to paper wasps, almost never stinging exept under extreme duress (IE being roughly grabbed or if a baby popped one in it's mouth).

The only downside I see is that, lacking a better alternative site, they may make thier nests on the side of buildings, which some people find unattractive.

Therefore, I was wondering if there might be a house that could be built specifically for their use, but the only mention I have found is of them and Paper Wasps taking over bathouses, and how to prevent them by making the seperate compartments 3/4 inch wide and having the dividers run all the way to the top. (Apparently, the paperwasps at least find 3/4 inch compartents too narrow to comfortably make a nest in).

This got me wondering:
Could a simplified and scaled down version of a bat house be made with compartments narrow enough to discourage paper wasps, but wide enough to admit mud daubers (who seem to have a narrower nest)?

This leads to my main question for bat house users:
Are there any bathouses whose compartment widths seem to permit mud daubers, but also discourages or prevents paper wasps from moving in, and if so, how wide are those compartments?

Here is a link that might be useful: Batcon bat house plans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mud dauber house idea? Question for bat house users

I had a big hanging tubular windchime on the front porch. Guess who moved into the tubes? Yep....mud daubers.

I just bought a Mason bee house from Gardener's Supply. They are meant for mason bees, but I've heard mud daubers sometimes take them over.

I don't mind the mud tunnels all over my house. And they provide some birds with food in the winter. :)

o
RE: Mud dauber house idea? Question for bat house users

• Posted by tode none (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:55

I came to GardenWeb seeking "how to" maintain a mud supply for dauber wasps. Am delighted to start thinking about houses. They are the host beautiful animals on earth. Do they make music when building in the tubes?

A terrible lesson that I learned years ago. During a mosquito panic in my town I put a few drops of orange oil in the bird bath before a hurried trip out of town. I didn't see a wasp one for several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here