Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1. Landscape help. Front yard ^.^

Posted by chriswanderer90 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 19:24

Hi:

I live 20mi NW of Philly (zone 7?).

I have a front yard that is greatly recessed and it collects a lot of rainwater, but it flows out into some tunnel.

Does anyone have any creative landscaping ideas? I'm trying to do native gardening as Sara Stein calls it.

I was thinking about putting a pond there so that frogs could breed.. But I don't know how much I'd have to dig..

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1. Landscape help. Front yard ^.^

The first thing you need to do is to check with your local Soil & Water Management to see if they would let you put a pond there. The second thing to check is your local code to see how deep an unfenced pond can be.

tj

o

Thanks Tj, that was very helpful.

o

I agree with tsugajunkie. In my opinion, I would scrap the pond idea in that area. if it is consistently wet that may get into a lot of 'what ifs", like water under the liner (if you built it that way), runoff laced with pesticides, existing underground piping & what not. What you could do, if you want to keep it natural looking & if it's consistently wet/damp, is plant some cattails, water iris, rushes & reed grasses. The frogs don't need much water to breed in. I've seen the in puddles during the wet spring season.

o

Maybe the pond idea is too much.. My dog poops and pees all over the lawn, and I don't know what that will do to the run-off basin...

Nearby, there is another runoff basin with a ton of cattails.. I guess that's what the local water authority does.. And there are a ton of frogs there in breeding season, and then they seem to jump into the sewer to hibernate..

Are cattails native to PA?

o

They are in all the wetlands. Native? Not sure but they have been around forever. they are native now, :)

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 13:06

How about a Rain Garden if it stays consistently moist or you could just put a flower bed in that area with natives that can handle seasonal flooding. I would be wary of planting cattails-they can be "vigorous".

Rhonda

o

How about Cardinal Flower? I hear they like wet feet and would have color.

o

Cardinal flower will draw hummingbirds for sure and they can tolerate not being wet all the time as well.

o

definitely a Rain Garden which could be beautiful, a haven for birds, butterflies and pollinators of all sorts, and will help the Chesapeake Bay. Check these out:

http://www.rainscaping.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

http://www.lowimpactdevelopment.org/raingarden_design/index.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here