Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Bugs

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

Not sure where to place this.

It's warming up and have seen bugs by the thousands walking around on the ground, mostly along the edge of the woods. I have never seen bugs in these numbers before!

Are you a bug expert?.....I would like to know what they are and if it means anything?....thanks!

Konrad

Comments (8)

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

I am certainly the farthest thing from an expert in any field, but this is really interesting. I would like another picture to be sure, but those look EXACTLY like the bugs that were all over the deck and patio at my parent's house this past weekend. I am assuming they are true bugs because of their initial resemblance to young stinkbugs...didn't ever examine one closely so I could be off on this. They were EVERYWHERE, as well as young clickbeetles. And their yard borders a woodlot....
    The crazy thing is that we are in Southern Illinois, a LONG LONG way from the far north...you'd think emergence would be at a later time.
    What have your temps been lately?
    Now I am wishing I had taken a moment and looked at one more closely.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh..thank you so much dirtgirl! That's interesting!
    Temperature was above freezing on and off for about 2 to 3 weeks now. When this picture was taken, it was a nice plus 10 degree Celsius...50F.

I have one more picture.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

dang...that's them exactly, even down to the dots at the end of the wing covers. and dang, you are GOOD with a camera!
    I saw one here yesterday but it was on the outside of the screen and I was on the inside and it flew before I even had a chance to run for the door.

I hate to ask you to do this, but...think you could crush one and see if there is a foul odor? Lots of the true bugs have an odor as a defense.

I haven't noticed them in the huge numbers here at my house, and we aren't BORDERING a woods, we ARE in the woods so I wonder why. Could they be seeking out open areas and wind currents for dispersal?
    Calling all entymologists....

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh....that's exiting dirtgirl!
    I didn't know that there was two little white dot on the back until you have mentioned!
    I went to the acreage tonight and it was getting cooler, no bugs on the surface but just below the leafs!
    I made some pictures on a white piece of wood, with flash, to make a better picture.
    I did as you suggested, crushed between fingers and smelled it, wasn't a "sharp"
    smell, a odd smell nevertheless!

Konrad

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

Hi again Konrad.....finally caught one of my own here and I just don't know WHAT they are, although now I'm leaning more to the beetle side.
    Know what though?
    I have another surprise for you: they are noisemakers! Get in a very quiet place and gently hold one down in the palm of your hand--careful, don't crush it, just apply enough pressure to keep it from moving--and bring it up to your ear. I am guessing it is rubbing its legs against its wing covers or something, but it will keep this up until you release it. Longhorned beetles come to the porch lights here later in the summer and I always have to give one a nudge just to hear it "scold" me.
    Interesting bit of info there, but it doesn't tell you what they are. Guess someone else will have to help you find out more.
    We sure could make one weird fringe group, couldn't we--going around smashing and sniffing and pinching little black bugs....

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello dirtgirl
    Thanks for the help!
    I haven't done the noise test yet.
    Yesterday, the first nice day
    after my first post and they
    are out in full force again.
    Konrad

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

Did I really help? We still don't know what the silly things ARE....

still cool here, with rain expected. No sign of them yet but they can't be far away.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is it this guy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Conchuela Stinkbug