Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Martin House Questions

Posted by bubgump Zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 19:51

Just bought a new property that has 2 martin houses on it. Do I need to clean or do any other maintenance to these before the birds arrive?

Thanks,

Bub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Martin House Questions

Hi Bub,
Are they the ones that you can lower? Since you're not sure that purple martins were in there, I would clean them all out and watch for other birds, like house sparrows that might try to set up house in them, and then evict them.
I had some tree sparrows hanging around mine one year, and the bird people told me that they were a good thing to have there too. Unfortunately, nobody stayed.
You can get covers for those holes. And If I'm remembering right, you keep them covered until you start seeing Purple Martins, then uncover them. That will keep the house sparrows out. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here