Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flax seeds for birds?

Posted by april_50 Thumb of MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 21:52

Hello All,

I have a question about flax seed. Someone gave me flax seeds from a health food store. Since I try not to eat healthy foods, could I feed these seeds to the birds? We have cardinals, chickadee, and the usual backyard gang.

Thanks,

April

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flax seeds for birds?

April, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that if you grind them up and add them to things you are baking and such, you will not notice the taste and they are good fiber. They are also supposed to lower cholesterol, but my limited understanding of it is that heat destroys certain elements of that. I may be wrong though.

o

Yes, you can feed it to your birds. It's a common ingredient in bird seed mixes for indoor birds, too.

o

You could also try planting some of them and have some beautiful blue flowers in late spring/early summer. Then leave the seed heads for the birds to eat.

BN

o

Flax seed is very high in magnesium, zinc, iron, vitamin E, carotene, B-group vitamins, calcium, sulfur, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, silicon, copper, nickel, molybdenum, chromium, and cobalt. Also, Omegas 3 and 6, as well as lignans that enhance the immune system. I used to feed it to all my pregnant and nursing mother hammies so mom AND babies could reap the benefits of the tiny grain. It has cancer prevention properties and as well, research suggests that it aids in the eye developement of fetal and newborn babies. In a pinch (when I was out of bird feeder seed) I would feed my home made hammy food to the birds and they didn't seem to mind the flax at all.

Any hammy owners out there? If you are, check out my home made hamster feed recipe. I buy all the ingredients at Bulk Barn and when hubby and I calculated it out, you save over 50% of the cost over the highest priced commercial brand seed mix and don't get all the crap seeds like corn and millet. Here's my link:

Barb's Home made Hamster Seed Mix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here