Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htown_gw

Indigo Buntings

htown
17 years ago

I saw indigo buntings for the first time today, and they are awesome. Two of them were the unbelievably magnificently sheeny males. I also saw numerous different species of butterflies on this trip down the San Jacinto River. Unfortunately, no snakes.

Comments (7)

• rsmallen
    17 years ago

Last Spring/Summer I had an Indigo Bunting visit my feeders for two or three days in a row...then never again. It was an unbelievably beautiful bird and I was thrilled to have him visit. I had never seen one before and I will always remember it.
    Robin

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

We are fortunate to have indigos as one of our more common small birds. Haven't spotted the newest arrivals yet but they aren't far behind the grosbeaks and the orioles and I have heard, but not seen, those two already. And it will only be a matter of time before the summer and scarlet tanagers make their appearance, although by that time the trees are usually leafed out enough to make spotting them in the upper canopy a little difficult.

Usually during the summer we have indigo buntings nesting next to the garage in the tall weeds/fescue. You could walk right past a nest and never know it was there, although during nesting, a "spish spish" call will get you buzzed by the male. (try it once just to see it, but remember your manners the rest of time--they need their peace!)

• dghays
    17 years ago

Indigos are very beautiful. I've seen the male 3 times in the last week and a half. It seems more skittish than most birds. Not sure how long its going to hang around here.

Gary

• vonyon
    17 years ago

DG, your place always sounds like heaven!

• htown
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That would be sooo cool to have them nesting in your yard!

• terryr
    17 years ago

dirtgirl, got an extra bedroom...or two? How's next week sound? I think I can probably get a moving van by then :o)

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

yes, we have a birder's paradise here. Right now it is positively buzzing, with new neotropical arriving daily.
    Head the first whip-poor-will yesterday, and THINK I heard a parula this afternoon. Heard the oriole-like whistle of a rose-breasted grosbeak yesterday and then today, heard it again, close to the house this time, and sure enough there he was. Will have to be keeping an eye out for the blue grosbeaks and the evenings, although they aren't always dependable like the RBGs.

Yes, the buntings seem to have a love for the taller grasses and thicker stuff here. A lot of times a male will sit on the power line and just go nuts with song, even when it gets hot. Nests fascinate me and annoy me at the same time because I have been too lazy to study the differences and learn to tell what bird made them. I found a nest of blue-grey gnatcatchers a few years back, and I could stand under the nest and watch the yougsters at lunch time, but it was at least 20 feet off the ground and I could never get a good look at how it was made. Think it might have had lichens on it, much like a hummer's nest.
    Plenty of birds, alright. In fact, come on over and stay a while....as long as you take a few thousand of our OTHER birds back when you leave. I'll give you a hint: they make a distinct whining call, are extremely gregarious, and have a specially adapted bill well suited for their liquid diet.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm