Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody else just feel that quake??

Posted by dirtgirl So. Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 5:59

It's 4:41am and I just got rolled off the couch by a fairly sizeable earthquake. This is Southern Illinois, and I guess we are overdue, but still...Weird thing is, it lasted a lot longer than I would have expected and the rattling glass and vibrating floors were more and more unsettling to listen to as it went on. It snapped me out of a fairly deep sleep, and my first thought was, the washing machine was out of balance. Followed by, I'm not doing laundry....!
I swung my feet to the floor and thought, wow, it's really happening (I'm a sleepwalker so things like this have to be verified slowly), but then I thought of my husband, who works around dangerous machinery and quickly called his cell to tell him to watch out--I bet he never even noticed it.
I guess I will have to wait until later to find out how big it was. Maybe not a huge quake but it lasted at least 15 seconds or so, and I really thought my antique bottle collection was coming down from the shelves!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody else just feel that quake??

Really!!!!!! An earthquake in Ill????? I know they happen but we just don't expect them around these parts.

o

It just hit the news....5.2 with 2 aftershocks.

o

And of course there was the second one that occurred about 10:30ish, also a 5 and change.
I only felt one small aftershock but there have been something like four or five thus far. Noticed that the old brick chimney on our local post office crumbled away and tore a hole in the roof. Perfect timing since the rain is coming...
After the first one my cat would not come back to bed for a verrry long time and I think was regarding me with much suspicion.

o

I didn't feel the quake in the morning, though my dog did wake me up at that time... but I was too sleepy to figure out what was going on. I heard the shaking and creaking but just chalked it up to a big wind gust.

I definitely felt the aftershock at 10:30. We work in a four story brick building, none of the bricks fell off our building, but some did on the one next door.

Did you feel the aftershock Sunday night, after midnight. I heard there was another one, but I slept through it.

o

I know they are calling these aftershocks, but the one this Sunday was almost a 4.2 or something...which is big enough to stand on its own when you are watching the drapes swing!
My mom and dad now have cracked walls in their basement, as do a few of our friends.
Think of the devastation we'd see if the original New Madrid quakes happened again now...the infrastructure would just surely crumble.

o

I just counted there have been 25 aftershocks after the 5 pointer. I have linked the site I looked at for earthquakes. check middle of left side of page for both US only and the rest of the world. You can click on the maps and the lists below for the quakes at a given location.

Here is a link that might be useful: USGS site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here