Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaia_gw

If I have HOSP...

amaia
14 years ago

Is it 100% sure they are going to kill the others nesting birds?

I have in my garden 2 nest boxes with Tree Sparrows, 1 with Blue TIt and 1 with Great Tit, but under my neighbors roof there are some HOSPs nesting in it and they are starting to visit more and more my garden, and now, I'm so afraid they will do something bad... :-0

And, how can I trap them? Any ideas :-D

Thank you and sorry about my poor english

Agi

Comments (12)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

No. Especially if the parents take turns sitting on the nest.

It may be against your countries laws to trap them so before you do anything check with your local animal groups. If you have an animal control group in your area they either know or can connect you to someone.

Unlike many I have no problem with HOSP's. We have other birds in this area such as one called a cow bird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests that are much worse. At least in my mind. You can also be checking on ways to alter the bird houses to keep undesirable creatures out.

The sparrows here form groups of mixed types and if you harm the group sometimes you are harming some rarer ones. Besides they eat bugs along with the rest, less bugs better garden and more veggies for me.

• Elly_NJ
    14 years ago

I believe House sparrows are native to Denmark, so it should not be a problem there.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

What I meant was, HOSP are native to Denmark, and so other cavity nesters, such as Blue and Great tits, have evolved to cope with them. So they should not be trapped.

• woodlandgal
    13 years ago

HOSP are invasive nonnative birds. They played a big part in almost destroying our native Bluebird peopulation.

Check out this site to learn all about Bluebirds and how to control HOSP.

www.sialis.org

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Woodlandgal please read before posting about nonnative birds. If you knew about HOSP you would know they were native where the original poster lives. There bluebirds are not even the type that you are so worried about. You probably would not recognize one of the european bluebirds if it landed in front of you.

Please do a little additional study about the various birds of the world and where they come from along with where they migrate to and from. Broad horizons help us all.

• amaia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok...

So it's kind of decided, I can't trap them!

Well, I've been watching them and notice that are like 2 or 3 pairs nesting and they are soooo busy with their lifes, thats good thing. But there are 3 single guys always flying together and checking everything around...

Can you believe the HOSP population here is so small they can't find females?? They are completely single!!! Are they trouble because they can't have a mate? Could they be mad about it and do bad things with other nesting birds ?

Other day I saw a Tree Sparrow showing "who is the boss" to one of the HOSPs at the bird feeder... it was kind of funny rsrsrsrs

Thank you all!!!!

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

If you put some bird seed on the ground when the fleglings leave the nest you can watch the baby birds try to get parents to feed them even though they are standing on the food. The poor babies spread their wings and look like they are quivering all over.

• woodlandgal
    13 years ago

I am sorry if I offended the original poster. I have no idea where that person lives.
    I know all about HOSP here in WI and have for years.
    BTW, I also know what European Starlings do to our Purple Martin population. I have lived with these two invasive bird species for decades.
    I was only speaking of what has happened in the US.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

I should not have spoken but each time you post about sparrows your tone seems to accuse anyone that does not immediately rip the sparrows head of as a criminal. Personally I like the beggers and since they eat more than their share of bugs I welcome them.

One clue to look for as a poster from another country is if they mention their poor english. You can then click on (My Page) and it may tell you where the poster is from. It also helps to read what the other posters have written.

I read the BBC regularly and have been following the declining bird and other animal populations for quite some time. In the US some of the birds are also declining. What the effect of our growing seasons changing is still to be researched but with at least here the blooming season does not follow the historic sequence therefor any bird/animal that relies on certain conditions to survive and breed do not have the conditions there.

The house sparrows are also declining in the northeast part of the US so one day they may be considered a rare bird.

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

I would love to send you some of our female HOSPs!

• woodlandgal
    13 years ago

".....each time I post about sparrows your tone......"

Huh? What posts might you be referring to?

• amaia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Woodlandgal

You did not offended me at all, relax ;-)

And Lisa 11310, thank you very much for your offer but I'll decline ;-P
    I'm very happy with my small Hosp population here.

Until now, things are doing great and all the birds are roosting peacefully hooray!!!

Agi