Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keilamarie_gw

Attracting Insect Eating Birds

keilamarie
18 years ago

Hello,

The back of our house faces south and has full sun, the other side of the yard has wooded area with a wide stream. Perfect conditions for lots of wildlife but also wasps. They hang out on the back of our house and multiply like mad! This would be ok with me (I know if you leave them be they don't just attack and we see no nests) except this is the same prime area we like to sit at and watch birds and relax. Hubby gets bad reactions as well.

Last year, (the first in this house) we were caught by surprise and had tons...until my beloved Easter Phoebe moved in. We went from 100 to 10 in about a week! We already hear the Phoebe in the area but not eating here. We have the wasps though, lol! So I was wondering if anyone had ideas to make our place more inviting to him/her. They won't share hunting grounds so we only get one to two. Which leads me to another question...who else eats wasps?

This is all I found but not sure what it means...nesting platform?

"Provide a nesting platform and plant native hackberry, serviceberry, poison ivy and sumac to supplement their diet."/humm....not planting poison ivy though, LMOL. Maybe some kind of perch there? Can it be close to the house?

I will not use anything that will harm wildlife though and I do enjoy feeding the Phoebe :)

Thank you,

Keilamarie

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery