Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attracting Insect Eating Birds

Posted by keilamarie z5 Mass (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 10:01

Hello,

The back of our house faces south and has full sun, the other side of the yard has wooded area with a wide stream. Perfect conditions for lots of wildlife but also wasps. They hang out on the back of our house and multiply like mad! This would be ok with me (I know if you leave them be they don't just attack and we see no nests) except this is the same prime area we like to sit at and watch birds and relax. Hubby gets bad reactions as well.

Last year, (the first in this house) we were caught by surprise and had tons...until my beloved Easter Phoebe moved in. We went from 100 to 10 in about a week! We already hear the Phoebe in the area but not eating here. We have the wasps though, lol! So I was wondering if anyone had ideas to make our place more inviting to him/her. They won't share hunting grounds so we only get one to two. Which leads me to another question...who else eats wasps?

This is all I found but not sure what it means...nesting platform?

"Provide a nesting platform and plant native hackberry, serviceberry, poison ivy and sumac to supplement their diet."/humm....not planting poison ivy though, LMOL. Maybe some kind of perch there? Can it be close to the house?

I will not use anything that will harm wildlife though and I do enjoy feeding the Phoebe :)

Thank you,

Keilamarie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attracting Insect Eating Birds

Elms might be a good choice for attracting insect eating birds. I had some at my previous house, warblers were attracted to them during migration. Some kind of tiny caterpillars would attack them during the summer, and cedar waxwings would feed on them.

I noticed phoebes returned here, too - saw a couple by railroad bridges over a creek, assume they are nesting under the bridges.

o

The best way to attract birds is to not use poisons to kill insects.

Also, if there are flowers around, that will attract more insects.

Good luck.

o

Keilamarie,

I didnt really know exactly what was meant by a nesting platform either, so I checked out to see if Duncraft had any for sale. The link is below.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Duncraft's Robin and Phoebes Nesting Shelf

o

Just came upon this today. Hope it helps. cut and paste link in browser.

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=43&articleID=511

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here