Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

What to do with baby bunnies?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

Today I decided to till up some of my garden. My chicken wire fence around it also needs repair. As I was tilling, I saw something out of the corner of my eye........2 baby bunnies. I immediately stopped. There's a section of taller green weeds that I'm thinking their nest is under. The bunnies are about 4-5" long and could run fairly quickly away from me. I'm thinking I'll give them a couple more weeks, and then move them out. Hopefully their mom will do it herself, but she may be gone. Don't you think in a few weeks I could set them out in the woods?? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

I think it's best to leave them alone. I don't think they live in the woods.

• lisa11310
    17 years ago

The Bunnies will dispurse on their own, let them be untill then.
    Lisa

• FurryCritterFan
    17 years ago

From my rehab experiences, cottontails do best in their natural birthplace habitat vs. being deported elsewhere. At 5-6" long, cottontail juveys are doin' okay without their mom. Hope they'll find some safe haven spots. I'm happy your tiller didn't kill or maim any of the lil' furry sprouts! :)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    I would have DIED if I'd run over them!
    There was still a small one in there last week. I pulled up part of the fence nearby and propped it open, and by that evening it was gone. Now I can plant the garden without worrying! (unless, of course, another rabbit gets in and has another litter!!) They are so darned cute!
    One year, I found a whole nest of them under my zuchinni, which was pretty big already. I just let them stay, and they helped me pick green beans all summer! ;)

• putzer
    17 years ago

There is nothing cuter than baby bunnies! We had a litter in our backyard last summer. Yes, I get mad at them when they eat my seedlings, flowers, etc. I still love 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Bun

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh! that runny babbit is sooooooooo cute!

• melissanewmom_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I found 10 baby bunnies in my yard while mowing today. My daughter took them out of their nest. When we put them back we realized the mother had been there and actually saw her running off....think she will return to tend to her babies??? I hope so...

• wispfox
    12 years ago

melissa: as far as I know, momma will be back. :)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think she'll be back. Wow.....10 bunnies in one nest? Mama must have had some fertility drugs. :)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I miss my bunny. Our last house had a bunny who came to live in our backyard and he and the bluebirds were the only things I really missed when we moved. We are less than a mile away, but I don't get all the same critters here. I never got angry with the bunny eating the tops of flowers -- he always left enough that they kept coming back. Very unlike the squirrels who take everything before it is ripe.

• donaldsmith
    12 years ago

You can use Regular Goat Milk found in the carton at your local grocery store.You can also use KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) available at most pet stores for the handfeeding formula. Avoid ANY regular milk, puppy formulas, etc.

The following is a guideline for the daily amount to feed a TRULY orphaned bunny (mother was killed, etc.) Remember with wild bunnies, the mom only comes back at night to call and feed him; please put him back for her if just found and healthy. With domestics, the mom only feeds once or twice a day for only 5 minutes. Leave babies with the mom. For wild true orphans, see contacts for wildlife rehabbers under wild orphans.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler