Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with baby bunnies?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 10:24

Hi all,
Today I decided to till up some of my garden. My chicken wire fence around it also needs repair. As I was tilling, I saw something out of the corner of my eye........2 baby bunnies. I immediately stopped. There's a section of taller green weeds that I'm thinking their nest is under. The bunnies are about 4-5" long and could run fairly quickly away from me. I'm thinking I'll give them a couple more weeks, and then move them out. Hopefully their mom will do it herself, but she may be gone. Don't you think in a few weeks I could set them out in the woods?? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with baby bunnies?

I think it's best to leave them alone. I don't think they live in the woods.

o

The Bunnies will dispurse on their own, let them be untill then.
Lisa

o

From my rehab experiences, cottontails do best in their natural birthplace habitat vs. being deported elsewhere. At 5-6" long, cottontail juveys are doin' okay without their mom. Hope they'll find some safe haven spots. I'm happy your tiller didn't kill or maim any of the lil' furry sprouts! :)

o

Thanks everyone,
I would have DIED if I'd run over them!
There was still a small one in there last week. I pulled up part of the fence nearby and propped it open, and by that evening it was gone. Now I can plant the garden without worrying! (unless, of course, another rabbit gets in and has another litter!!) They are so darned cute!
One year, I found a whole nest of them under my zuchinni, which was pretty big already. I just let them stay, and they helped me pick green beans all summer! ;)

o

There is nothing cuter than baby bunnies! We had a litter in our backyard last summer. Yes, I get mad at them when they eat my seedlings, flowers, etc. I still love 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Bun

o

Oh! that runny babbit is sooooooooo cute!

o

I found 10 baby bunnies in my yard while mowing today. My daughter took them out of their nest. When we put them back we realized the mother had been there and actually saw her running off....think she will return to tend to her babies??? I hope so...

o

melissa: as far as I know, momma will be back. :)

o

Yes, I think she'll be back. Wow.....10 bunnies in one nest? Mama must have had some fertility drugs. :)

o

I miss my bunny. Our last house had a bunny who came to live in our backyard and he and the bluebirds were the only things I really missed when we moved. We are less than a mile away, but I don't get all the same critters here. I never got angry with the bunny eating the tops of flowers -- he always left enough that they kept coming back. Very unlike the squirrels who take everything before it is ripe.

o

You can use Regular Goat Milk found in the carton at your local grocery store.You can also use KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) available at most pet stores for the handfeeding formula. Avoid ANY regular milk, puppy formulas, etc.

The following is a guideline for the daily amount to feed a TRULY orphaned bunny (mother was killed, etc.) Remember with wild bunnies, the mom only comes back at night to call and feed him; please put him back for her if just found and healthy. With domestics, the mom only feeds once or twice a day for only 5 minutes. Leave babies with the mom. For wild true orphans, see contacts for wildlife rehabbers under wild orphans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here