Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboobearbecky

In My Backyard

booboobearbecky
15 years ago

We live in the woods of Northern WI and the wildlife is abundant here. I've learned to share my gardens with the local fauna and how to apprciate nature in all it's glory. Here are some photos I've taken over the last 12 months. Some of them are just too amazing not to share. Enjoy!

HOW MANY BEARS?

From Misc Bears

UN'BEAR'ABLY HOT

From Quadruplet Bears

BEARZILLA SCRATCHING HIS RUMP ON A TREE

From Bearzilla

MS. QUILLERAN

From Ms. Quilleran

MR. FOXWORTHY

From Mr. Foxworthy

ROSE THE RED SQUIRREL

From Red Squirrels

ROCKY THE GREY SQUIRREL

From Grey Squirrels

THE WATERING HOLE

From The Watering ...

CINDERELLA

From Cinderella

GOLDILOCKS AND THE 4 BEARS

From Goldilocks

SNOW WHITE

From Snow White

DRIZELLA

From Drizella

CUBS

From Cubs

More wildlife photos "in my backyard."

http://picasaweb.google.com/booboobearbecky

Comments (84)

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

I just briefly looked over here to see what's happening and I couldn't believe this is going on for soo....long without me seeing!

Didn't read all of it but I will later, all I wanted to tell you,.. good luck and a big thank you for posting
    your wonderful story and pictures with us!!!

Konrad

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

She was offered guidance, she just didn't like what she was told.

I'm not saying that the options these bear cubs had were good ones, but now she is raising bears that have learned not to be afraid of people AND not only that, look at the pictures, look at the containers... these bears have learned that containers provided by people contain food....

If you know anything about living in bear country (I used to live in WI), bears who aren't afraid of people, who look for food in people containers, become labeled nuisance bears. Its not a good label for a bear.

• skippy05
    15 years ago

You cannot please all of the people all of the time...........

I agree, she didn't like what she was told, therefore she did what she could to help the bear cubs.
    I would have done the same thing!

Kudos to Becky!!!!!!!!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Usually rescued bear cubs are placed with new bear moms or they are placed in zoos or game farms.

If Becky wants to become a zoo or game farm, then kudos to her. She is going to have to start raising money fast, as its an expensive proposition.

If she thinks these cubs will become wild and live on their own, without being a nuisance to others, she is mistaken.

Here is a link that might be useful: bear articles in Wisconsin

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Joepye, thanks for sharing the articles. They are very interesting and informative.

• booboobearbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

janie_may
    IÂm glad you are enjoying my posts about the orphan bear cubs. I guess I felt compelled to write about my bear cub experience to make it more "real" to me. Also writing about it on the internet to people I canÂt actually see saves me from seeing the look of "yep, sheÂs a nutcase" on peopleÂs faces.

kallen305
    IÂm happy that my bear pictures make you smile. IÂm not a good photographer at all. I just got really lucky with the subject matter at hand. Attempting to photograph 4 bear cubs all at once has been a challenge. I donÂt take my camera equipment with me very often when the cubs and I are tramping around the woods. I need to keep my wits about me. Also, the cubs are fascinated with my camera and they want to play with it. I wipe bear nose prints off the lens often. I usually get most of my photos when the cubs are occupied with food or play.

terrene-
    I think the cubs are pretty cute too. Even more so with each one developing their own personality. Forrest is the serious one. Flower is the shy one, Flora is the special one with a gentle soul, and Fern is the goofball class clown. This summer has been an experience that I consider nuttier than usual. More like surreal!

Maureen-
    You were amazed at my pictures? Wow! What a compliment. Thanks. Watching all the wildlife in the woods surrounding our home IS just like watching the National Geographic Channel.

softballmom
    The den search may not be up to me actually. The cubs have gained so much more independence in the latter half of this summer. In fact, IÂm no longer able to keep up with the little rascals in the woods any longer. ItÂs amazing how 4 creatures of their size can simply disappear in the brush, ferns and trees. I still plan to create a couple of denning spots for them in our woods where trees have fallen just in case. In our area bears like to create dens at the base of uprooted trees and dig under them.

joepyeweed
    I estimate the weight of the bears to be around 50 pounds now. They need to put on a few more pounds before hibernation which shouldnÂt be too hard considering the amount of acorns and berries that are ripe in our woods now.

No, I am not independently wealthy (sure would be nice though). No, I am not a millionaire (I clip coupons and shop at discount stores).

Once the bear cubs got their choppers (around June), teaching the bear cubs to find natural food in the forest has been a priority. Supplemental feeding from me dropped off gradually to once a day, since food in the forest became plentiful this summer. There were many days the cubs needed no supplemental food at all. Watching them learning to forage for themselves sure made me proud of them.

As for the containers I carried their food in, I considered it a necessity because when I invited them to join me for dinner in my kitchen they refused to use silverware, so I sent them back to the woods to forage on their own. Such...

• skippy05
    15 years ago

Becky
    I think it is fantastic that you were able to attend the course with Lynn Rogers. We have seen his documentary on Animal Planet! He is amazing!
    How true, animals do not care about our disabilities.
    Thanks for the update, we are looking forward to the photos!! I wish you much success & the best of everything to you & your family (human & animal!)
    I do not think you are a nutcase!!
    Good luck & take care!

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update.

• skippy05
    15 years ago

bump

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Thanks soooo..much with the update!

Konrad

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

KEWL!!!!!! and I thought it was alot of work bringing in a 7 day old kitten abandoned by her mother.......YOU ROCK!!!

• terrene
    15 years ago

Becky, I am wondering how things are going with you and the bear cubs?

I really admire what you are doing, and it seems to me that you are breaking new ground in how humans interact and co-exist with the wildlife around us. Joepyeweed does bring up some good points, and I would hate for your bears or any bears to be harmed because they have become too habituated to human activity. Perhaps you are taking a risk, but if we don't take risks, how will we learn? And these bear cubs would have been doomed otherwise.

If we (the big we) can learn something from your experiences, it is well worth what you are doing IMO.

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

I guess up in your neck of the woods, they should be hibernating soon. I believe they start around this time here in NJ. I hope all goes well with them, and I too will be checking back for more updates.

• booboobearbecky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long Time; No Update
    I apologize for the long delay in posting to those of you who have been following this thread. A few health issues, along with the passing of my hearing dog threw me for a loop! Despite the chaos in my life, IÂve kept up with the nurturing of my orphan bear cubs.

At the moment the quadruplet orphan bear cubs, Forrest, Flower, Flora and Fern are doing great! They are fat, healthy and nearing the point of hibernation.

From Orphan Cubs

IÂve spent an extensive amount of time with the cubs since April and IÂve come to know them as individuals. Each one has their own unique personality, behaviors and quirks. Let me introduce them to you one at a time.

FORREST

From Orphan Cubs

Forrest, male, is the largest of the four and stands out as the leader. The other cubs take all their queues from Forrest. When to go, when to stay, when to take cover. Forrest could easily survive on his own and in fact would probably fare better without the burden of his siblings. However, he remains true to his family and takes his broodÂs safety very seriously. ForrestÂs main competition for the leadership role was often tested by Fern "the runt." I was often grateful to Forrest for using his leadership skills to keep Fern in line, because I sure had a tough time doing it. If you wanted to learn about classic bear behaviors, Forrest would be the bear to watch. He takes life in the woods very seriously and is always on guard. I nicknamed Forrest "the watcher."

From Orphan Cubs

FLOWER
    Flower, female, began her life as the second largest bear cub in the family. As summer progressed and her three brothers grew up, she has become the smallest. This is natural as typical male bears tend to be larger and heavier than the females. Flower was a very shy cub and I feared starvation for her during my first rescue attempts. She has since formed a special bond with me that goes a bit deeper than her brothers. Flower would win a bear beauty contest if one existed. Her features are exquisite and a bit more delicate and defined.

From Orphan Cubs

Flower sometimes ended up alone with me when her brothers ventured off at a pace she was unable to maintain. She would seek out physical comfort from me with gentle touches, and when startled run behind me for protection. I trust Flower more than her siblings and perhaps our bond is a good thing as she will most likely stake out her territory in the geographic area she was born in. If she survives to adulthood, IÂm quite certain our paths will cross again. ...

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Boo....
    Thank you for this update!
    You sure have done a outstanding job, putting sooo....much time and effort into something like this is not a easy task.
    All I want to say to you is,... THANK YOU!
    For all the work you're doing and most of all, being a mother for these orphan bears!

Konrad

• terrene
    15 years ago

Becky, thanks for the update! I enjoyed reading every word of it. Your bears seem to be doing very well. They are spending 95% of the time on their own now? Congratulations! I hope their hibernation goes well.

Amazing that the 8 bears are so comfortable hanging out with each other and with you. I love your description of Red Riding Hood relaxing while YOU are on baby-sitting duty!

As for the "stinky sock" fetish - LOL - what is up with that? Perhaps the smell of your feet helps them to identify you or reinforces some sort of bond with you? Similar to the way dogs greet each other by sniffing each others behinds...;)

• tennecil_6b7a
    15 years ago

Fascinating, Any updates?

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

You could write a book Becky! I enjoyed reading this. They look so healthy. I'm not surprised that the orphan bears would be used to you but I think it's amazing that the other bears would approach you and even lick your feet. It makes a person wonder how much they can communicate with each other. Maybe the quads somehow let them know that you're ok.

What are you going to do when they emerge from hibernation though? Do you worry about them approaching your neighbors when they start to find their own territory?

• caththegardener
    15 years ago

My 10 year old daughter and I came across this thread today and we're just fascinated by your story. I hope you will continue to keep us posted on how the bears are!

• organic_bassetlvr
    15 years ago

Becky,
    I saw your siggy on Name that Plant & came over here for an update. Thank you so much for all you have done for these lucky, lucky bears. I thought I was doing something by taking in stray dogs & cats-Ha! You should write a book (as previously mentioned by another poster) Your story is both fascinating & inspirational. I have followed from the beginning but never posted before. I cannot imagine how much work you put into this endeavor & seem to have done so very successfully. Keep us posted! Also be careful-especially around Red's offspring. We both need you-bears & humans!
    Susan

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

WOW!! just stumbled across this post, a truly fascinating story! How wonderful your home and yard sound. I don't know if I would have the guts to go out in the yard never mind walk thru the woods. lol.
    You are a great "foster Mother" and I wish you well w/ the bears. Looking forward to hearing how they faired thru the winter and what the will do come spring.

Annette

• marciasc
    15 years ago

Becky, thank you for 45 minutes of a wonderful tour through your backyard and life with the bears. I am speechless about what you have done and your fantastic pictures. Yes, you should write a book!!

Thank you so much for sharing this.

• woodlandgal
    15 years ago

Hi Becky, I am new here and just came across your posts. I think it is wonderful the way you took care of the orphans and taught them to be bears. I like black bears and just visited the Bear Center in Ely last summer.
    I live in west central WI and we have plenty of bears here, too. One hangs around our yard every spring and summer. When corn starts to form ears in the fields around our woods he leaves. I'm looking forward to updates from you in the spring.

• bbcathy
    15 years ago

Becky You are an excellent "Momma Bear" and a wonderful writer. I can't wait to hear the next chapter. I know what a huge sacrifice of time this was for you. No matter what the outcome remember efforts like these are surely what gets a person into heaven. Blessings
    Cathy

• kat_in_ks
    14 years ago

I am just speechless, Becky! What a wonderful person you are to have taken all the time, research, expense, etc. to care for your four beautiful bear cubs, and to keep such a wonderful photo journal for us to enjoy and feel a part of it all! I admire you very much! And now, I'm almost afraid to ask.... but did the cubs hibernate successfully? Kat in KS

• sowngrow (8a)
    14 years ago

Becky you have worked hard to take care of the bears the best you could and you've shared your wonderful adventure with many of us. Thank you for your kind heart and nurturing nature. You are a special person. I have enjoyed reading about your devotion to the bears.
    Robin

• booboobearbecky
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Konrad-
    You think I did a good job being a mother to these bear cubs eh? Just an FYI, IÂm not even a Mom in real life! My only experience with infant critters has come from farm life growing up. One of my farm chores was teaching young calves how to drink from a pail. I simply used the same technique to teach the cubs how to drink from a bowl. HereÂs how itÂs done:

ÂDunk hand and fingers in the pail of milk
    ÂTrickle drops of milk on the snout and lips of the calf
    ÂLet the calf lick your fingers and suckle
    ÂSlowly move your hand down into the pail of milk
    ÂNow the calf is drinking milk on itÂs own!

I did the same thing with the bear cubs, because bottle feeding 4 cubs at the same time would have been impossible unless I had 8 arms. Not to worryÂ.at the time I was teaching the cubs to drink, they had no teeth.

terrene-
    Yes, the bear cubs were 95% on their own when I wrote my last post. Between my last post and the time when they hibernated, they were completely on their own. This time period of complete independence covered last November and December.

You commented on RedÂs Riding HoodÂs comfort level with me as the summer and fall progressed. This is something I am still mystified about. She pulled her baby sitting trick often last fall while she was feeding heavily prior to hibernation. SheÂd spot me and the quad cubs, drop her 3 cubs off, and completely LEAVE the area to go feed. IsnÂt that strange? I have no explanation for her behavior whatsoever.

The "bear greeting" is a nose touch and sniff. So yes, terrene I suppose this is similar to the dog butt sniff. OMG, does that mean my feet have the aroma of "eau de dog butt?!?" So maybe when the bear cubs touched, sniffed, and licked my feet they were greeting me. They also often touched and sniffed my hair with their noses if I was sitting on the ground. I sure hope my hair isnÂt giving off a dog butt aroma.

tennecil-
    Keep reading because I have lots of updates today!! (and new photos too)

Christie-
    You stated: "I think it's amazing that the other bears would approach you and even lick your feet. It makes a person wonder how much they can communicate with each other."

Actually bears communicate quite a bit with each other. Not with roars and growls so much, but with huffs, puffs, sniffs & grunts, along with teeth clacking, tongue clicking, nose & paw touches, licks, posturing, gestures & stiff legged walking. If youÂd like to hear some of the noises that black bearÂs make and read about what they mean, check this out:

Black Bear Sounds

You asked about my role in the bears lives once they emerge from hibernation. Actually when the cubs emerge from hibernation, my part in their lives will be mostly over. IÂll be there at first to offer assurance and familiarity, but for the most part, theyÂve learned everything they need to know to survive on their own. When the male cubs leave to find their own...

• booboobearbecky
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SPRING HAS SPRUNG

The snow is finally melted, the weather is warming up. Yeah!!!

Red Riding Hood and her 3 yearlings emerged from hibernation the second week of March. The all looked healthy and happy. None of the orphan cubs were in tow though. After all the bonding the two families participated in last fall, I thought perhaps their relationship would continue once all the bears were out of hibernation.

I watched Red and family off and on for a month. March passed by and April began, and still no orphan cubs. I was really starting to worry now, but had made my peace with the outcome of the orphan cubs either way.

I took a few hikes in the woods to look for "bear sign," something I learned a great deal about while attending bear camp in Ely last summer. I was looking for typical signs of bears in the woods and found plentyÂclaw marks on trees, bear hair on tree bark, fresh scrapes on dead logs & of course bear scat (for you non-woodsy people that's p**p), but I found nothing that specifically pointed to the orphan cubs.

On April 14th I found something in the woods that made me stop in my tracks.

Babe the pig with his ears suckled clean off.

I was certain that Babe the pig had both of his ears intact last fall. I checked some cub photos just to be sure. Yep, there was Babe, count em 1, 2, furry pink ears. Could it be that the orphan bear cubs had dragged Babe into their hibernation den with them? And now brought him back out after hibernating minus his ears? They were certainly attached to that silly stuffed toy pig, thatÂs for sure. I realized I was grasping for straws and imagining silly stories as I wiped a tear from my eye. I held Babe up to my face and breathed in bear drool. I took Babe back to the house with me for a keepsake. I decided I would never launder him again. Holy Cow what a sentimental sad sap I was turning into.

What happened next is just plain weird. The next day, April 15th, I was heading to the living room to watch TV, and I just got this "inkling feeling." I retrieved my binoculars and went to the window and lo and behold there they were! 4 yearling bear cubs and YES by golly it was Forrest, Flower, Flora and Fern nibbling on emerging clover in the meadow. I let out a whoop so loud, my dog even started howling and barking. I grabbed my coat and hat and then I remembered that the cubs didnÂt like it when I wore a hat (I think it prevented them from sniffing my hair.) Tossed the hat and snagged Babe out of the laundry room and raced out to greet them. My heart was poundingÂWould they remember me?? Before I write one more word, those of you who have been following this thread will recognize exactly what these bear cubs are doing. See the pictures below: ...

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

OMG Becky,
    Thank you so much for the up date,it brought tears to my eyes,you are truly an amazing woman.Please consider writing a book,simply titled,Becky,Bear Whisperer.
    The whole world would love to read this wonderful, loving,kind,funny,sad,adventurous,and amazing story.
    This has brightened up my day,thank you.I , like so many others, worried about your babies all winter,my husband and i mentioned a few times over the winter months,we hoped your babies were ok.
    You should feel so proud of the work you have done,this should be written down for a history lesson,some one else will need to know this,hopefully.

You wondered if bears have memory,yes,every thing does, there are those naysayers who will tell you other wise,but do not pay attention to them.
    Every year,for about 4 years, we had pair of Phobia birdes make a nest on the underside of our porch,they came back every year, to the same spot,we would sit out there with them, they tought their babies how to leave the nest with us out there,execpt for one year,a Bluejay,discoved they had a nest there,and was very interested in their babies, i would scare them off,when i was out there, but i could not be out there all the time,and sure enough, one day we got up,went out side,and the babies were gone,we know the Blue Jay took them.
    The pair of Phibie went to the nest only a couple of times,and did not lay thieir second set of eggs there.
    The next year,they came back, flew up to that same spot,made some bird noises,only they could understand,but they did not build there.They remembered what had happened,this will be the third year with no nest,we have seen them this year already,they have vivited the area, but so far, no nest building.
    My Koi, fish remember me,even the frogs i have in the pond,i can feed them by hand,but if some one new comes up to the pond, they hop in the water.Nature is a wonderful thing, a gift given to us all,if you live in harmony with nature,you reap the rewards,don't let any one tell yuou other wise.
    I hope you keep us updated Becky, and please, start that book, i will buy it!
    Carol

• kat_in_ks
    14 years ago

All I can say, Becky, is a big WOOHOO!!!
    Kathy

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

So glad they got through the winter ok. What a nice story. I wonder if they deliberately left the pig for you to find.

Anyone can write a book nowadays Becky. It wouldn't have to be selected by a publisher. Of course if you wanted to make money, you might need one. We made a hardback "book" after my daughters wedding with her photos. We used Snapfish.com after seeing it on Oprah. They were showing how to put kids' artwork into a permanent book on her show but you can use photos too or whatever else you can scan. It looks just like a regular book when they're done with photos on each page and words below. I'm not sure what it would cost. We had a special Oprah offer so we only had to pay postage.

• janie_may
    14 years ago

Becky, thanks to my friend, Malinda, I'm checking in and reading the WONDERFUL update! I am in total awe and so happy to read the latest "bear" news! Give yourself a huge pat on the back, job well done!

Yeah, you really should write a book! And, your new dog is a real beauty!

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

Timothy Treadwell had nothing but the best intentions, but his efforts ended in tradgedy for not only him but some of "his" bears as well.

Bears should be treated as wild animals. They should not be fed people food in people containers. Nor should they play with people toys.

The pictures are very neat, I hope nothing but the best for the bears. I just question the need to continue to feed these bears, especially in their second year.

• terrene
    14 years ago

WOW! How on earth did I miss this update from over TWO months ago??? Such a pleasure to read your update finally BBBB! :)

So glad that the 4 orphan bears made it through the winter and are doing well. I imagine you worried yourself sick over the winter, and with the delay in their emergence. A big congratulations to you!!

Your story would make a fabulous book, for children and adults alike. There was a show on Animal Planet recently called "Bear Man of Kamchatka". Bear expert Charlie Russel raised orphan grizzlies by hand in the Russian wilderness. "Upon discovering the motherless cubs in 1997, Russell acted as a surrogate parent and taught the cubs how to hunt and fend for themselves.."

Sounds like you...Maybe you should be the "Bear Woman of Wisconsin"!

• malinda
    13 years ago

Becky - any chance for an update? I am hoping the bears made it through another winter and you are seeing them again. Hopefully with some new cubs, as well.

• lisabtx
    13 years ago

Becky, what an amazing story. Thank you for documenting this wonderful adventure. What a way to start my Memorial Day. God bless you.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Becky, do you suppose your feet sweat and they could taste the salt. Maybe they need a salt block. LOL

• bljeaux
    13 years ago

Becky, very much enjoyed reading about your experience. Laughed a lot while reading it. You express yourself very well. Learned about this site while reading the blog on the bears studied by Dr. Rogers. Hope you do an update sometime soon. Thank you for sharing your adventure.

• tommickie
    13 years ago

Oh!Becky, what a wonderful adventure you had. I happened to come across your page from the Bear Center. I have been following Lily and Hope since last Jan. I am so amazed with that story and than yours. How great is that? It has taken me over an hour to read all and in the end shed tears of happiness for you and your cubies. You are truly blessed by the highest to have this honor of raising these babies. I wish you the very best and keep up the wonderful job. I hope Flower bring by her cubies for you to see your grandcubies when she has them. Love to you and all the good work you do.

• Naples bears Florida
    13 years ago

OMG I loved the whole story. I saw you telling us all about your adventure on the Lily and Hope chat page today and had to come over and check it out for myself...OMG I am so happy I did.I am not an big reader but you kept my interest and I just couldn't stop reading until it was done. Too bad that joey whoever had to be a "spoilsport" and try to ruin such a beautiful story. But we all saw right through that "dud"..we went on together reading and sobbing all the way. I love watching nature in it's own home and believe people need to remember who lived here first..they are not in OUR yard we are in THEIR yard. Keep up the good work and YES you shpould become a writer, you are able to express your words well that we all felt like we were in your back yard with you. good Luck!! Naples Bears or Shirl Pierce-Siebert on FB

• Memert
    13 years ago

Becky Thank-you so much for sharing your wonderful story. I saw your link on Lily & Hope's web cam yesterday. All I can say to you is, you are one amazing lady!!!!! You are a lucky to have had the rewards of this experience. You do need to put your story in a book to help dispel all the myths that abound about our beloved black bears. Please post any news you have on your bears. God Bless Your Bear Loving Soul !!!!

• bbcathy
    12 years ago

Becky, Hope all is well with you and the bears. We'd love an update!!!!
    Cathy

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Hi there, Becky,

Your entire thread (well, a link to it) was posted over in the Cacti & Succulents Forum (it must've really had an impact on the individual who posted it), and I came on over to check it out.

I have to say, I'm all astonishment, in complete awe, and thoroughly moved. This has been an unbelievably beautiful story. You've been part of an amazing blessing. Few things are this magical - which is an utter shame, truly. As a species, we expend so much energy separating ourselves from the miracle of life. You have surrounded yourself in it. Oh, that the rest of mankind would be so attuned to its Mother.

I will admit, much of the thread I skimmed over. (As a quick aside, you really should consider having this story published as a book or photojournal.) I did catch the few posts from such folks as "joepyeweed" and others. Their comments aren't without merit. They have some real and valid concerns, and I don't disagree with their arguments. I think, however, that theirs, in contrast to yours (and, it would appear, the majority of everyone else here), paints the situation in an either/or scenario - either the bears are allowed human contact, or they're not. One position says you're doing just fine; the other says that you're interfering with nature, and (thus) putting at risk not only any humans the bears might decide later on that they're not afraid of, but also the bears themselves (as a consequence of a lack of fear of humans). Bears are wild animals, and should be treated as such. They need to be afraid of humans, so that they'll stay away from humans, and human foods, etc.

I suggest a third perspective - one, I think, that would actually require a paradigm shift. As I said, as a species we expend so much time, energy, effort and resource trying to separate ourselves from the natural world; this is as much a result of our notion that we actually are separate from the natural world as it is a prime contributing factor to that notion. (We think we're not part of nature, so we separate ourselves from nature; we've become so removed from nature, that we don't recognize that we're actually part of it.) I suggest that this notion we've developed that we are separate from nature is folly (indeed, it's responsible for much of the destructive, overconsumptive behavior that is presently destroying the Earth), and that the idea that we need to maintain that separation is flawed. Your contact with the bears is, in my opinion, natural. You chose to live in their natural habitat; but instead of trying to drive them away, you chose to live peacefully in harmony with them. You weren't domesticating them. You gave them a chance at survival; and (at least at the time of your last post) you were successful. They recognize you by scent, by sound, and by sight. I don't know how much and what kind of contact the Native Americans had with the bears back before the New World was colonized, but I'd venture to say you have lived with these bears...

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Well said, Jessica.
    Penny

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Becky, thank you so much for the story. I loved it. I read every post in this thread and loved all the update.
    Please continue to post with more pictures.
    Marie

• Pixel_Pepper
    11 years ago

Becky, thank you for your story. I was also linked here from the Succulents forum. I read every post. My heart sank when I read that the bears had disappeared after the winter and I cried when they were alive. What a moving story. I agree with chaparralgirl-- you've explored a different paradigm of interaction with nature here, and achieved a 100% survival rate for the cubs, and you're to be commended for it. Well done.

• Maire13
    11 years ago

Becky, Wondering how you are doing? I'm back on GW now and truly loved your Bear stories. Hope all is well with you and the Bears! You are amazing!

Mary Oates

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Just got to see this now and I'm glad all is fine, ..you did extremely well as a momma substitute!

Yeah...as you were saying how you have learned, feeding calves milk in your younger years,...I had to do exactly the same when growing up and helping my dad on the farm in Switzerland, I guess this is universal.

Hope everything turns out for the good in the long run, human and animal.
    Thank you for all this work you've done and sharing with us.

Konrad

• LutzEddie
    10 years ago

What Disney name would you give to these bears?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

You are unbelievably irresponsible and are playing with dynamite. I hope your Frankenstein bears are killed or captured before they make the list above.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Becky- What a truly awesome documentary. I felt like I was there. Besides being a cub "Mom", you have the gift of story telling. Any updates?