Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
got a strange plant with exploding seed capsules

Posted by dirtgirl So. Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 11:37

I spent a few days last week cleaning up storm damage at my grandma's place. While picking up sticks and shingles in her front yard, I stolled through one particular corner of the yard next to the treeline. While bending down to grab a limb, my hand brushed through the mixture of things growing all around in that area and I was instantly hit with a barrage of tiny flying objects. Upon closer inspection I realized that this part of grandma's yard was full of these short plants that had gone to seed, and used pressurized capsules to disperse them. I am familiar with a few such plants around here, such as my favorite, jewelweed.
These plants were short, no higher than 6 -7 inches tall, and reminded me of horsetail, although I am assuming this is a very different-looking plant when not gone to seed. THe stems were pale green, upright, and for the most part seemed non-branching. This isn't something she planted here either.
The pods looked more like long needles, and of course the minute you brushed up against one it just splattered seeds every which way.
Any ideas? I don't have a clue what leaves would look have looked like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: got a strange plant with exploding seed capsules

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 12:08

This one? Also known as shotweed...

It seems to be a pain pretty much coast to coast, flowers in winter in this mild climate so I weed it out in raingear in January so it can't set more seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: bittercress

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here