Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

needing pictures of shrubs, bushes for ID

dirtgirl
16 years ago

I'm finding this new shrub sprouting all over the woods and I can't figure out what it is exactly and I'd really want to know before I jerk it all out. It is thankfully NOT russian olive, but I think I have seen much larger versions growing all over waste places and it kind of reminds me of tartarian honeysuckle but not quite. IS there a good site or place on the web with Midwest shrub/bush IDs? I have tried to get a digital pic but the ones here are still so small it's hard to get good detail. I guess I could go over to town amd get a shot of those big ol things.

I wish it were more spicebush but it's not!

Comments (11)

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh great. it does bear a striking resemblance to amur honeysuckle. I bet the birds gave me a complimentary trial offer....
    Can anyone think of any natives that look a bit like amur honeysuckle so I can do some closer comparisons?
    I guess I can always take a spring to the University of Illinois field office for ID...

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Are the leaves arranged opposite one another or alternately? That is always a good way to start when id'ing woody plants. Honeysuckles have opposite leaves.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

opposite leaves, tapering to a sharp point, stems tending to have a redish tint to them. Larger bushes have a weeping habit, and old growth is very woody, rough bark.
    The ones just now growing here haven't had flowers yet, but the ones they so closely resemble have bright red berries and whitish to pinkish flowers
    I have spent so many years jerking and burning vine honeysuckle that I totally overlooked the bush varieties.
    And we also have a low scrubby bush that I have always heard called 'buckbrush' and never really wondered about its real name. It's barely knee-high and has tiny ovate leaves, red berries in the fall. But I think it's something else but stll can't find a match in my books. Funny how when you are surrounded by the same plants all your life you never stop to think about where they came from or if they are harming the natives. I never knew anything about japanese honeysuckle until about 15 years ago. Til then it was something I was pleased to see since it smelled so nice in the summer. After I began trying to thin it out of our woods here, I even had people stop and ask why I was doing that, since it was so good for rabbits and deer and was such a lovely vine. SOmetimes I wish I did not know the difference, because I am now aware that there's no way I will ever win this battle, not even on 5 acres.

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

I googled it in images.

Here is a link that might be useful: ???

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Sounds like shrub honeysuckle.

Perhaps the other bush you are thinking of is Glossy Buckthorn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glossy buckthorn

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

See this link to buckbrush. The nursery variety is called Beauty Berry.

I find it quite amusing that you pick up one book on natives and are told all vining honeysuckles are non-native and then the next book states all bush honeysuckles are non-native. I have given up on deciding which is correct.

Here is a link that might be useful: buckbrush

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

If the linked plant in the above post is what you have (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus), it is noted on the USDA Plants database as a native.

Is there a book that says all vining honeysuckles are non-native? That would be an ignorant author then not to know about Lonicera sempervirens. I have been pulling japanese honeysuckle for years on my property and recently found a patch of L. sempervirens mixed in (the leaves are different once you look at them).

There is a "bush honeysuckle" that is native, but it is in the Diervilla genus, not Lonicera (although to be confusing, one species is Diervilla lonicera).

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

elly...I linked to those same images right after my last post. It's no longer a question, especailly now that I drove over to have a closer look at the larger bushes a few miles from here. They are now flowering and this removes all doubt. I do wonder what events took place to give me so many sprouts all of a sudden. The flocks of roving robins come to mind but I will never know for certain.

As for the link to buckbrush...esh, it's ok --I did some more reading over the last day or so and found out more about the buckbrush. I figured all along that it was a native, but it bothered me that I had all these colonies of plants in my woods and I'd never been sure of their proper name. At first, when I linked to 'buckbrush', I only got a few hits on the California/western plant. And I know that the Virginia site listing it as a weed isn't taking into account native/non-native, just weed tendencies. If you theoretically had ginseng popping up in your rose garden, you'd consider the ginseng a weed (simply something growing in an undesired place) and pull it.
    (That was a crazy example!)
    I notice that mixed in with the japonica is a honeysuckle with deeply serrated leaves...is that sempervirens?

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh, what was I thinking. I have seen sempervirens before...I need a taxonomy course!
    I really have a hard time putting names with faces sometimes.

I DO have occasional honeysuckle with deeply serrated leaves...

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

The japanese honeysuckle does get lobed (or serrated as you say) leaves, that is one feature that makes it noticeable - see the last picture on the page in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera japonica

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh you are indeed correct. I am ashamed to say that I never noticed this, and that after years of jerking the stuff up I never bothered to really pay attention to the lobed leaves and follow them back to the ground. I just had a mat of vines and pulled it all up where they met in the ground and gave a heave.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County