Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

my encounter with the coon and the bobcat!

dirtgirl
16 years ago

If the wind hadn't been blowing it never would have happened like it did. I went out to take pictures of a wood duck's eggs in one of our boxes, and I thought I would take our new digital camera, a cheapie but one that also makes video clips. Maybe if I was very very careful when I approached the creek I could capture the birds on 'film'. I had along my hiking buddies, my black cat and my old collie mix. Both are pretty mellow and well behaved, but the cat has an assortment of bells on his collar and the dog really stands out, being mostly snow white...both facts that add to the strangeness of this story. As I got to the creek, I immediately saw movement along one bank, down below us. It was a young coon. I pressed the video button and let it roll, saying nothing. After a moment or two the coon looked up and saw me, and probably the snow white dog lying in the bluebells behind me. It scrambled up the bank and through some more bluebells. When it was out of the frame I hit the stop button and was just lowering the camera when I became aware of more movement, an animal moving rapidly in the direction the coon had just gone. It was a bobcat, and it was most definitely after that coon, and most definitely NOT aware of the three other creatures just across the creek. I hit the record button again, and you can hear me hoarsely whisper, "a bobcat-right there!" It quickly closed in on the young coon, which immediately jumped into the creek and headed to the opposite shore. I was sweating it badly at this point, realizing what a rare thing this was and hoping that the images on my screen would be discernable once the clip was downloaded onto the computer. I'm not sure I was still breathing at all. It was all a gift, the events before me. I focused on the one spot where the cat was sitting for the longest time and then took on slight step to the right to move around a tree branch. Immediately there is a streaking bounding bobcat shooting off to the right of the screen and out of sight into the trees. Moments later there was the sound of snorting panicking deer to the south. ANd it was over.

How in the world does a lady in mud boots trailing a bell-wearing cat and an arthritic snow white dog get in that close to a bobcat without it seeing them?? I know two if its senses were down since the wind was blowing our smell away and covering the sound of our approach. Maybe the bobcat was sitting just right behind a tree or a log and simply not looking. As for bobcats eating coons...well, I don't know for certain about this. I am assuming that what the cat saw was a smallish creature bounding quickly through the brush and as cats do, instinctively gave chase. They were about the same size body wise, perhaps the coon was a bit smaller. I understand a full grown coon is a formidable creature when it's cornered...would a young one be a target for a bobcat?

I eagerly awaited the results on the big screen...and was very let down. There is obviously an animal chasing after the coon, and then streaking away, but it's impossible to tell what it is.

This will probably never happen again, when I have the camera and am already taking video when things get interesting.

Not as good as "Battle at Krueger" but still my own little fortuitous encounter...

Comments (3)

• lisa11310
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Were you at any point afraid for your cat, dog or for that matter yourself? I think I would have messed myself. :0

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never. Stepping off into a yellowjacket nest--now THAT'S something to fear.
    This makes the third encounter with bobbies for me, and the other two were MUCH closer. My second meeting occurred last fall when I found myself less than 15 feet from a mother and her two almost-on-their-own kittens, dining on deer carcasses left over from hunting season. In all of these instances the reaction was the very same: an immediate need to put distance between themselves and the human.
    Interestingly enough, each time bobcats come up in local discussions, the other person always insists bobcats are to be feared as they will "tear you up". I'm sure it's a "since your hounds have me cornered and men with guns are trying to kill me" kind of tearing up...

Wow. I just thought of something...it was on this very forum, about a year or two ago, that I posted about finding what I assumed had to be bobcat tracks. I wasn't sure, since they were my first, and my husband was dubious as well, and now here I am filming the things in my own woods.

• suzzque
    16 years ago

Dirtgirl - loved your writings about the bobcat/coon encounter!

We have a few bobcats here in North Texas, but so many new houses have been going up the last few years, many of the critters who were here 10 years ago have now headed to more secluded spots.

We keep a swing in the woods on our property. One night, several years ago, we were setting in the swing, night had fallen and we were armed only with a flashlight. It had been so quite, I was sure nothing was going to be viewed that night. But I turned on the flashlight and it shined right into the beautiful eyes of a silver fox who was standing about 10 feet away from us. How we didn't hear it approach, I'll never know. It was not afraid of us and wandered along it's way. We were so delighted! Back into darkness - still very quite, so again I turned on the light and this time, we saw what we were hoping not to see - a skunk. Very quietly, we got up and hurried up the creek bank and out of those woods. That night viewing was over in a hurry.

We see lots of critters around here - one of the real joys of country living. Too bad the country is vanishing here, but we've seen and enjoyed this place for years now. We are truly blessed.

Janice in Texas