Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants capable of surviving bird stomping!

Posted by Jenny_J zone 9 texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 14:49

Hi all! I have a window box underneath our bird feeder. The doves and squirrels spend most of their time in the window box, eating the kicked-out bird seed from the feeder. As a result, they stomp the living daylights out of everything that I have planted in the window box. I'd love to find a plant (perhaps like a groundcover) that coule be planted in that window box, resist stompage...and, (here's the clincher): it needs to be a very hardy plant. I live in S. Texas and the location of the window box is hot, hot, hot and gets direct sun for most of the day. Is this an impossible quest? p.s. I love the doves and squirrels, so finding a plant to plant there that they would approve of too would be grand.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants capable of surviving bird stomping!

Does it have to be a pretty plant? What about catnip?

o

It doesn't have to be pretty, but we have cats who get to go out on the deck supervised. The location of the windowbox is such that they're not allowed up there (there's a potential escape hatch up there). I wouldn't want to encourage them to climb up around the window box by putting catnip there. Why catnip...is it stomp-proof?

o

I don't know if it's stomp-proof, but we had some growing in our yard, and my husband would even weedeat it every other week or so, and it would still grow back. So I just thought it might be able to take some bird stomping too. I can see why you wouldn't want to plant it though if it's a place that's off limits to the cats.

Maybe you could grow another kind of mint that's not catnip? I have never grown any other kind of mint before, so I can't tell you if it's as tough or hardy as catnip.

o

There's not much that can survive constant bird tromping (I tried and tried to grow things under one set of feeders and finally gave up). I guess I'd suggest moving the windowbox...

o

Yarrow, Achillea millefolia, works pretty well for me most of the year. It does nearly disappear in mid-winter but comes back strong in spring. It likes a hot, sunny spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here