Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkbix

Shrubs, Birds and Shade

kkbix
17 years ago

Hi I live in a small subdivision where my house backs up to a forest. I have one Huge Oak and a Fir tree in the backyard and am in the process of eliminating 50 to 75 % of the grass in the backyard and am replacing it with woodland flowers, trees, groundcovers etc... I have some sun but most areas are shady with maybe 2 to 5 hours of sun. In the sunny areas I have already planted viburnums (various kinds), serviceberry trees, dogwoods, cotoneaters, Cranberry shrubs and many different types of groundcovers and flowers. I am obviously attempting to blend my backyard into the forest I back up against and attract as many birds as possible. Now for my question. I have an area in my backyard that recieves maybe 2 to 4 hours of sunlight. I am looking for small shrubs (2 to 8 feet) that will grow well in deep shade and produce berries for wildlife. They can't get much taller tha 8 feet as I have electric lines that they will be growing near. So, any suggestions? Oh one other question, do bunchberries grow well in Indiana?

Comments (2)