Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomtuxman

Black vulture question

tomtuxman
19 years ago

Although I live in a built-up area, a local historic site recently had quite a number of large trees removed and the resident vulture population there relocated to my tall pines and spruces.

It seems every night I have 15 to 25 vultures roosting, leaving at sun-up. This didn't bother me until I noticed that a few were scratching around on the ground in a curious way and it suddenly occurred to me that they might be seeking nesting sites (vultures nest on the ground and do not construct traditional nests).

Then I noticed that they were not the usual turkey vultures, but black vultures which I understand are more aggressive.

Will these vultures either attack my songbirds (robins, bluejays, cardinals, catbirds, etc.) or will they attack my cats who have the run of the property? (No, my cats are totally disintested in the songbirds, that's never been a problem/issue.)

Comments (12)

• Elly_NJ
    19 years ago

No, not unless they are dead.

They certainly have less effect on bird populations than roaming cats, which do kill birds, whether you see it happen pr not.

• nc_wildlife
    15 years ago

While the Turkey Vulture (red head/neck) does not kill- The black vulture (black-grey head/neck with white on wings)WILL attack small animals and livestock- They ARE aggressive. Without enough carrion (dead meat) around they DO kill. I live on a cattle ranch south of Greensboro and have already witnessed several kills on calves and on a small dog (Pomeranian).
    There is another person who lives not far away from my area, who's losing goats to the black vulture- read here: http://greensborogardens.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/black-vultures-killing-north-carolina-goats/

They are protected by the migratory bird act and on the threatened list of species.
    So before you start believing the old wive's tale about vultures not killing anything and only eating things that are already dead, you'd better do some research cause the black vulture will and does.

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

Like all vultures, Black vultures will occasionally kill compromised, weak, or dying animals.

The working work is occasionally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black vultures

• frank_il
    15 years ago

Go with what Elly said. Please NC, show me ONE documented case of a Black Vulture taking a calf. That is just silly. A Golden Eagle can't even pull that off. This is ridiculous.

• frank_il
    15 years ago

I have read the same anecdotal evidence that you have. Could a black vulture take out a healthy animal? No. could they go after a weak animal? Yes. That is what they do. I think you horribly overestimate the skills of a black vulture. Please, someone show me a picture of a calf taken by a vulture, or a sheep, or even a Pomeranian. They could not carry one away, so there must be pictures, right?

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

Having worked in wildlife rehab before, i've encountered turkey and black vultures. The black vultures are aggressive, and smart enough to bite me above my handlers gloves. Unfortunately, most of my knowledge of their feeding habits comes from feeding them leftover mice the hawks and owls wouldn't eat! I agree with the others, there's no way a vulture or even a group could take out a healthy animal that was able to run or hide. Keep an eye out on them, and hope there's enough roadkill to keep them fed! Check with a wildlife rehab center in your state about the best way to handle this, and if it's possible to relocate them. They are just part of the life cycle, not bad birds.

• User
    15 years ago

'Martin S. Lowney, a biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services Program in Virginia, .... ''On the same pasture, and the same day, there was a different calf attacked. This one was about 3or 4 days old. Again, there were about 15 or 20 vultures sitting there. One of them walked up to the calf and grabbed it by the nose, and another one grabbed it by the tail. Then the rest of them just came running over and started grabbing at it. I broke that up and ended up killing 2 of the vultures and harassing the rest of them away.''

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Vulture Attack Reports

• cjc45
    15 years ago

Black vultures also eat bread. I was watching them grazing in the bird-feeding area at our downtown lake (they make little barking sounds). A man walked by and asked what they were eating. When I said bread, he said "I thought they only ate people!"

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

Lol cj45!!!! You are funny. Maybe they do have a taste for people!

• ladykatieking_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

If you ever read the name MARTIN S LOWNEY, then you are reading lies. Google him. He works for the US department of agriculture's inspection service. He is a government pawn. This is what happens when big government is in control. It's scary. This entire site IVILLAGE is full of people (Rhizo 1?) working to spread false information. They are called "SCHILLS". When someone knows a little TOO much information, be wary. THEY PROBABLY ARE PAID BY YOUR TAX DOLLARS TO SPREAD LIES.
    These birds are harmless and CARRION EATERS- meaning carcass eaters. They keep down disease, not spread it. They are probably just smelling the afterbirth on the calf.
    MR LOWNEY spreads these mythical situations across the web. It's repeated and passed down as fact. It's not. It's more big government lies ruining our country. You need to watch out for this government- not the vultures.

• User
    14 years ago

There is a great difference between the USDA's inspection service and any wildlife reporting.

What do you think they would do if they "smelled the afterbirth"? All birds will attack and peck to death another bird if that bird is weak or ill. Find a farm that raises chickens and ask what happens if another chicken has a wound. A new born calf has much softer skin and flesh than most dead animals.

You need to watch some vultures in the wild for a while.