Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange animal noises

Posted by treelover z8 SoCtrlTX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 17:17

This is the second year I've heard some kind of an animal noise right outside my house in the night, every night, this time of year---coming from where several large azalea bushes are growing.

A single cheeping/squeaky noise, repeated several times at various times during the night...never starts until after it's completely dark out. Could it be some kind of bird? I've been thinking that they don't make much noise after it's dark.

We have squirrels, but they wouldn't have a nest right near the ground, would they? I've looked and don't see anything during the day.

Anyone want to take a guess?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange animal noises

Frogs or Toads???

o

Look for robins. I used to work nights and walked home from the bus stop. In the darkest areas the dd things would sit on the ground and make noises. After stumbling over several I did learn to shuffle my feet. First time I kicked one by accident it flew up the front of my leg. I am surprised my heart didn't stop beating I was so scared. I did look for any hurt bird after it became daylight but did not find any.

o

Yep....toad or frog.

o

What an odd thing to happen, maifleur. I never see robins in my yard, but I have seen toads occasionally. Good! I was afraid it would be a rat or something I don't want around.

Thanks all! -- Carol

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 14:15

Treelover...try this link...mebbe you can ID the 'culprit'...LOL
Let us know what it is when ya figger it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas frog calls

o

What a neat website, lellie! Thanks for the link. You should have seen my cat sit up and look around when I started playing those calls.

The one I hear sounds most like the Pseudacris crucifer (spring peeper) and they are in my county according to another website I found. Have never seen a frog around here, though. Must be nocturnal.

o

The other thing you might consider is a "burrowing owl" if you have those in your area. The sounds of some owls can sound like squirrels and other things such as frogs/toads/peeps etc... I don't know where you are located but Burrowing Owls winter in south Texas.

o

Never knew there was such an owl.

I doubt that's what my noise is from. My outdoor cats are all lazy slugs, but a feathered critter scurrying along the ground would probably be too much for them to ignore.

o

I live on the Texas Coastal Bend, and for the past month or so the tree frogs have been singing all night long. Look for them on your windows looking for some insects to eat. Lots of people that move to Texas don't recognize the sound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here