Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Memorial stone for wildflower garden

Posted by Elly_NJ NC z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 05 at 17:29

A student in our school died last fall.

I am planting wildflowers around the school, and have targeted a sunny area for asclepias, rudbeckia, echinacea, monarda and Agastache Foeniculum, all hardy, sun-loving plants. I want to dedicate the garden to her, and need ideas for a marker of some sort.

We don't have much money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Memorial stone for wildflower garden

A concrete stone (round, square or rectangular) could be made at a low cost with kids inscribing on it or perhaps someone stamping something nice in it, using those refrigerator magnet letters and then pulling them out. Also, leaves could be pressed into the concrete, vein side down, for a pretty effect.

o

That sounds very nice.

I spoke to the girl's best friend today, and asked her if she'd like to help and to think of an inscription. I think the idea of personal "stamps" will appeal to her.

Where do I get this, do you know?

o

I did see garden markers in a catalog I think it was jackson and perkins. Have you looked at any of the local garden centers? I think I saw one today at a wild bird and pet store today called back to nature it's in Media Pa. I bet there's probably a similar type store near you. Sarah

o

Elly,
The kits sold for this kind of thing run around $75. For less money, you can find the kids refrigerator magnet letters in grocery store aisles where toys are sold or Wmart or Target usually for a few dollars or perhaps the kids could inscribe using something else. I made a square stepping stone using Quikrete, a pizza box and pampas grass fronds set in concrete (which I later pulled out)and a round stepping stone with a castor bean leaf, vein side down, using a large deep dish pizza pan, for very little cost. Perhaps an art teacher at the school has some experience in this. If not, it's a fairly easy project. If I can find a link to one someone on GW made, I'll post it here for you.
Robin

o
basic stepping stone instructions

Here's info on making basic stepping stones which could be applied to what you'd like to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepping stones

o

Thanks very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here