Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damp sand/dirt and new construction

Posted by ronkw 8b LA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 17:45

Nothing quite as inviting as an upturned root ball!
Blow down remnants of Katrina.
The area has also been burned a time or two since.
Photobucket

For the ones that prefer flying.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damp sand/dirt and new construction

Fairly big hole. Have you seen what made it? Had one almost that big in a dead limb of the apple tree made by a flicker. Several things lived in it before that branch totally rotted including a small round faced owl.

o

A Pileated Woodpecker made it about 3yrs ago and raised two chicks/birds. The following year honey bees made use of it. Nothing is using it at the monent, but for two consecutive early mornings last week,(low light,fog) I saw a pair of birds circle around, they lined up and side by side, flew straight to the tree. One went in, the other kept going. As i watched their flight my first thought was ducks, what are they doing here?? Their short, stubby wings and rapid beat. I watched the hole with binoculars for the next 20min or so, both mornings. Nothing happened.
Nothing more this week. I suspect they could have been flickers. I see these birds from time to time, but I haven't seen them in flight. Go figure.

o

Wood ducks do nest in trees however just south of my house is a creek. I have seen mallard ducks, male and female, standing on tree branches in the woods along side it. I have never heard that they nest in trees but since the can stand on branches, why not?

o

Wood ducks crossed my mind too, as there is a "wild" 4 acre
pond nearby and I've got 2-3 acres of bottomland in the back ajoining it.
Surely, I would have spotted some markings on wood ducks as they flew past, even in the poor light. I would be estatic to have those.
Whatever it was they haven't been back.
That particular snag is close to the camp.
To much "activity."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here