Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudysmallfry

Finally started my habitat!

rudysmallfry
17 years ago

After three years of clearing, I finally did some planting. This past weekend, I planted 3 Winterberries, a Chokeberry, Serviceberry, Hummingbird and a Black Hills Spruce. That soil is more wet that I thought it would be just a few inches down. The area borders a marsh, but it's at least 3' above the water,so I thought it would be more dry. Oh well. I'm sure glad I used natives that like wet soil. I already can't wait to watch it all settle in and grow to size. I'd swear the birds are already checking them out.

The better part is, all of the above plants I mentioned except for the spruce, I got for just over $100. CT had a native wholesale plant sale this past weekend. The winterberries are 3 years old, and I only paid $15 each. Big time score there. My wallet's empty and my back is sore, but I sure have a nice sense of satifaction right now.

Comments (9)

• rudysmallfry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, forgot the trumpet vine and Leonard Messel Star Magnolia! I really went nuts I guess.

• vonyon
    16 years ago

Rudy, If you are looking for any other natives the might like it wet, I would suggest shrub dogwoods and elderberries. Keep us posted. Sounds like you got some nice things.

• rudysmallfry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm running out of both space and money already for the wet area. When finances do allow, the next things in will be swamp and pinxter bloom azaleas.

I'm also doing a shrub bed in my side yard area. The area is much more normal to dry soil than the back. It's all dappled shade. I'd like a mixed bed of medium sized shrubs, ideally not more than 5' wide. (height's not a factor) I love mountain laurel, but need to find a variety that doesn't grow so huge as the basic 10'x 10' variety. Any ideas?

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hi Rudy, your habitat sounds nice. Where are you planting the Trumpet vine?

I would like to plant some, but not near the house or gardens. Many people say it can be invasive.

As for the Mountain laurel, maybe you can find a cultivar that grows more compact?

• rudysmallfry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm installing a patio below my deck. The one side is going to be walled off with a trellis. I'm going to put the vine there. The master gardener who sold it to me says it's is not as aggressive as some other vines, and assured me that it will climb the trellis and not continue to grow over my house. I'm crossing my fingers and told him I know where to find him if it goes nuts.

• vonyon
    16 years ago

Rudy, Don't believe him. They grow like weeds and I have seen them take over an area.

• rudysmallfry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Figures. The guy did mention something about a chain saw to cut it back. Guess that should have been a red flag? Too bad my white trash neighbor's rusty chain link fence has almost completely fallen into my yard. I could have unleashed the vine onto that.

• vonyon
    16 years ago

Rudy, they are beautiful and hummers love them, but I can hardly think of anything that is less aggressive at least from what I have seen. Maybe wisteria although I would say the trumpet vines I have seen would likely run a close second if they didn't tie them.

• tweedbunny
    16 years ago

No, me and my mom both have one in our yards. They fill in an area quickly, which is good if you are impatient to cover a wall or trellis like me. They will get as big as you let them, but its easy to keep them in check by clipping the new growth as it grows into places you don't want. No need for a chainsaw if you clip it every now and then before the new growth becomes woody.
    Have fun!