Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

The bug bit me really hard!

catherinet
19 years ago

Hi all,

Today when I was in my chicken coop, I saw this big insect. It looked like a huge mosquito, but it didn't appear to have a proboscis (or whatever it's called). It had fairy-like long wings. I was afraid the chickens would eat it, should they find it, so I cupped it in my hand and started out the door with it.......when OUCH!! It bit me! It hurt more than a bee or wasp sting.

Of course I was the only one home, and was afraid something awful would happen to me. So I wrote a good-bye note to my family, left it on the kitchen counter, and went about my business. When my son got home from school, I threw out the note, and assumed since I was still standing, all was okay. lol! I guess I'll use a jar or something the next time!

Comments (17)

• chubbles
    19 years ago

Hmmmm..your first description makes me think of a crane fly, but those don't bite.

• yellowbell
    19 years ago

Did your hand swell?

• catherinet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

P.S. Chubbles,
    I looked up Crane fly and it did look alot like that, but didn't have as long of legs as the picture. I forgot I had an insect book, but couldn't find this insect in it.

• dirtgirl
    19 years ago

Congratulations, Cathy!
    Sounds like you made the same casual mistake I made and tried to carry an ichneumon wasp in your hands to safety.
    One kind in particular, I discovered too late, very closely resembles a cranefly at first glance. I had one bopping around the living room one night and decided to take that "cranefly" and put it back outside where it belonged. I got about three steps and she let me have it! I'm more careful about what's around the porch light when I open the door now, and also what I'm shooing and how I shoo it!
    Also had one of these hatch out of a silk moth cocoon, but it was much larger than the one I mistook for the fly. Was expecting a large moth and then one day all of a sudden I kept smelling this sickeningly sweet smell around my indoor tree where the cocoon was. It bothered me enough that I finally got to poking around trying to locate its source. Saw the wasp perched quietly on a limb, got suspicious, and sure enough found an exit hole chewed in the cocoon. This kind is a common parasite of giant silk moths!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes Dirtgirl! That's what it was! I looked up some images on the Internet, and sure enough! I can't believe I did that!! So I guess I got stung and not bit.
    I thought ichneumon wasps were dark brown/black, but I see that some of them are light brown.......like the one that stung me. Mystery solved! Boy was I stupid!! You're so smart Dirtgirl. Thanks for your help.

• Elly_NJ
    19 years ago

Ouch.

Glad you're OK.

• dirtgirl
    19 years ago

Cathy, you goober!! Don't be silly--you are SO FAR FROM STUPID. Remember, the only way I know this info at all is because I did the very same thing, got myself stung, and then just had to find out what that thing was if it wasn't a cranefly!
    Isn't it wonderful, the process of learning by doing? Well, maybe as long as it's not killer bees or mambas....

• catherinet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

lol Dirtgirl.........."killer bees or mambas".
    (After doing an internet search, I finally realized that you weren't talking about a latin dance step). haha

• dirtgirl
    19 years ago

Nope, we're talking about the snake here, tho I'll bet you were certainly doing some high-steppin' when that "cranefly" let you have it!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dirtgirl, are your ichneumon wasps light brown or are they darker?

• AdamM321
    19 years ago

I can't believe anyone tries to get bugs out of the house in their bare hands...lol. I have a very healthy dislike of touching bugs. I get a paper cup and cover it on a wall, then slide a piece of cardboard under it and cart it to the door. Otherwise, I would never get bugs out of the house. [g]

Adam

• catherinet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Adam,
    I have had so many bugs in my house that don't bite or sting, like leaf-footed bugs and others, that I've learned to "dissociate" my hand from my head and grab them and run to the door. I still laugh when I think of grabbing that wasp, not know what it was! We do have a "bug jar", which we use for spiders, wasps, etc.

• dirtgirl
    19 years ago

Cathy, the one that stung me was a very light tan, almost a reddish tan, very cranefly like but those antennae should have been a dead giveaway.
    The one that came out of the cocoon was much more reddish-hued and it would have been hard to mistake it for anything but a wasp.
    Now once in a great while I am treated to a real experience...a giant ichneumon. These get to be close to three inches long and are shiny black with a bit of yellow, but they are most amazing to watch when you find one laying eggs. I have seen the females before with their ovipositor so deep in a tree that you think they have to be stuck there. I am sure if these can sting but I do not want to find out. Guess I could always try to carry one out of the house!

• alexcamarena21
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes they do sting, not like he bee and attack you. A Crane fly went down my shirt any and stung me about three Times. I got stung by a wasp and that's just how it felt. Don't believe me put one down your shirt.

• Ward Bajbouj
    3 years ago

Not sure there was one on my fridge yesterday and today also never got close to us

• P Bina Raj
    2 years ago

Most often they say that crane flies do not bite. Four of them entered my house attracted to light. I was very concerned because I have a 2yr old. They were hiding and left the bathroom light ON so we r not disturbed by them. I shoo them away in the morning except one has stayed back. My daughter was watching a cartoon on laptop when this fly was attracted to its light. I did not check on my child. But she screamed and cried and she said that something bite her. I quickly switched ON the light and was surprised that it has bitten her. I had no choice but to kill it as it kept on escaping and hiding, coming out when we r relaxed. I hate anything bothering my child