Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnnative_gw

Resident Bunny

tnnative
19 years ago

I have bunny who has taken up permanent residency in my side yard. It is the funniest thing! He/she sits there munching and sleeping ALL day. I have looked around for a nest but don't see one. We used to have lots of rabbits in our yard at night, but never had I seen one hanging around in the daytime before. I mean, I'm thrilled to have the visitor, but it just seems so weird. I thought maybe she was about to have babies and was just waiting it out, but it's been a couple of weeks now and still no sign of them. She's even getting somewhat used to my dog. As long as he doesn't go to that side of the house when outside, she stays put. There is also an occupied bluebird nest in this area, so I love standing at the window and watching, but I'm perplexed! Is this normal? The yard is fenced, but there is room for her to come and go. HAve I just created the perfect haven? We don't really mow over there much and there are brush piles galore.

Comments (37)

• Elaine_NJ6
    19 years ago

Sounds like you've created bunny heaven, what with the tall grass and the solitude.

I notice we tend to see them more in the spring than in other seasons--they're making themselves available to other bunnies, I think.

We had a resident hawk for most of the winter, so there's less rabbit damage and fewer rabbits around this spring, and I'm very grateful.

• DurtGrrl
    19 years ago

Aren't bunnies fun to watch? (when they aren't munching my blueberries or veggies, LOL). If she had babies, it could be they are still too small and haven't hopped out yet. Sometimes bunny nests are tough to spot. We have several bunnies who frequent our yard in the early AM and evening. They are quite brazen too!
    Last night we went for a walk around the neighborhood, and we saw tons of bunnies. All sizes too--very silly. :)

• tnnative
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This bunny is VERY well behaved. She never munches my garden plants -- only the tall, tall weeds and grass in that area. I never realized how like cats they sometimes are. She cleans her face with her paws and stretches and arches her body.

• jll0306
    19 years ago

We have so many bunnies around here, that I am thinking about giving up on "gardening" and proclaim that our yard is a wildlife refuge. A new and different one came to visit a few days before Easter, ...a plump white bunny with brown freckles. I have a feeling that she was someone's pet until they got bored with the responsiblity and set her free.

She took up residence under a mesquite bush, and although she was skittish about letting me get close to her, she didn't seem very energetic. Thinking she might be sick,I put out food and water for her for a week or so, and mourned when I didn't see her again.

However, she showed up again after a few days, and now I see her in the yard every two days or so. I think she's looking her a few cabbage leaves or carrots to supplement her diet of weeds and wild mustard.

I'm hoping "Freckles" will find a home with the local tribe of wild bunnies soon, but I don't see much interaction between them. Nonetheless, she IS lovely to watch, and does seem to lounge like a cat, all sprawled out.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Ohh, Jll, I hope you do try to capture her. She will not do well out in the wild. Domestic rabbits are descendent of European rabbits, and have different social habits than our domestic cottontails. I really don't know if she can breed with native cottontails, but that white and spotted fur makes her an easy target for predators, as it would any babies.

Bunnies make great pets, (we have three,) are quite social, the European ones anyway. Domestic (oops, North American, this is the world-wide web, I believe ;-) cottontails are solitary creatures. But the domestic rabbits need to interact with others. Humans will do. (Ours give us kisses. Social grooming.)

If you do get close to her, put your hand over her eyes, then you should be able to pick her up with the other hand. Scoop her close to your body, she needs to feel supported. Tuck her like you would a football, and bring her into the house to transfer her to a box. Alternately, you might try putting a cage out there for her, and put some feed in there, with a little box for her to hide in. She may just go in on her own. Bunnies do like their hutches, it represents security. She can become a lovely pet with time and patience. She's scared because she's out of her element, and all bunnies are a bit skittish at times, as they are prey animals. Even our beloved Fuzz, who sometimes thinks he runs the house, can be skittish on occasion.

A local House Rabbit Society or Humane Animal Welfare Society may be able to help you with catching her. Also, rabbits should go to a vet who specializes in rabbits, as they have a very different gastric system, and can be easily killed by incorrect care. I have not found rabbit care to be expensive, unlike my dogs, who cost big bucks at the vet. If you would want to keep her, you would want her checked for parasites, and a general health check.

Being the practical sort, I realize that if she becomes a meal for another animal, that is part of nature. After all, that is the food chain. But, I would not want her creating more white and spotted babies to become such an easy prey. And I'd much rather she be a loved pet.

Jean

• jll0306
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Jean.

I will see if I can get close enough to her, to catch her the next time I see her.

I did check to see if we had a bunny rescue group here, but haven't found one.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Volunteer at a humane society and you'll quickly see how wonderful these animals are as pets. It's sickening when irresponsible people abandon domestic rabbits. They are vulnerable to all the predators that don't distinguish between pets and natural (wildlife) prey items. After observing my cottontail patients released in our yard, and comparing them to domestics, the similarities like grooming and arching their backs are unbelievable. Yes, even the wild ones do helicopter leaps and binky dances. If you guys need more assistance, email me privately. And definitely check out the local House Rabbit Chapters: http://www.rabbit.org, http://www.mnhouserabbit.org, http://www.wisconsinhrs.org

Hope that lil' abandoned one won't become a pred's meal due to an irresponsible, uncaring human's action.

Eastern cottontail wildlife rehabilitator (and foster mom to ones who'd be euth'd @ the shelter), Plus 6 house bunnies , FCF

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

FuryCritterFan,
    Do I have the techniques down right to try and catch that domestic bunny? Maybe you have any better techniques?
    I wish I could help.

Oh, and do check in the ear for an ID tattoo, and try to locate the owner if you do catch the bunny. Also, your vet can check for a microchip. Sometimes domestic bunnies get loose from excercise pens in the backyard. (I'm trying to look on the brighter side of human behavior.) Hopefully that bunny can be caught, and has an owner looking for her.

• jll0306
    18 years ago

"Freckles" was back in the mustard patch last night, but doesn't let me get closer than a few feet. I didn't see any ear tatoos, though.

I did put a box out, with some cabbage in it. She grabbed the leaves and scurried off, not at all interested in the hutch concept.

The local hawks are Cooper's hawks, I think...much smaller than Freckles. She is likely to be safe from them, and our yard is fenced, so she isn't likely to be a coyote dinner.

We also have plenty of brush piles, and tree cover. I think she is relatively safe from pedators as long as she stays around here. Perhaps one of these days she will trust me enough to let me get closer. I'll keep you posted.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Oh, thanks for the update. I bet she will come to trust you. Good to hear.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

tnnative: I always worry when they're out in the daytime. Normally twice a day, near dusk and dawn (give or take some safe-area feeding times) is the instinctual behavior. We've seen cottontails staying out later than normal, and hope they are simply more daring. I've witnessed a cottontail in the middle of the lawn refusing to move much, and a fellow rehabber said that sometimes they'll behave that way if they no longer have the will to survive. 'Twas about 2 yrs. ago, the beeler who ate my black-eyed susan and other garden plants. By staying in the open he was a sitting duck to predators. I hope that's not the case w/your resident bunny. No, it's not normal for them to dally in the daylight. Some do take advantage of sunny spots to feel the rays. Just so she runs like a rocket when danger or your dog approaches!

One of the baby cottontails from our front yard litter in June '04 was also flirtin' w/death. We noticed it right away. My husband and I would place him back in the arborvitae cove and brush pile fortress - where the rest of the 2-wk-babes stayed well-hidden - and he'd scamper out to the open... :( :(

Jean, Good advice on capture tips. JLL, be patient. Freckles is very smart to be wary. Stay in the area and let her get used to your smell, associating your scent with a trustworthy human, and some good greens to nibble. You could also try some apple bits (Fuji, Cameo, Delicious, Gala). Small carrots. A handful of old-fashioned Quaker oats. As she approaches, talk in a soothing voice calling her "Freckles". :-) Gently stroke her forehead when she gets a few inches away. And hang around the protection box so she isn't freaked by your presence. In November a couple from our area tried to capture a stray rabbit seen in their yard. It took about one month before the abandoned bunny, who looked like a cottontail but was really a domestic!, allowed them to place their hands on his body. He hopped closer each time to the house, from cover spots, to eventually eat food offerings at their back porch. Thank Goodness you got excellent cover, JLL! I named this guy Charlie, admitted to shelter, 11/14/04?, and he was adopted on 4/27/05. Happy ending to the stray who was very fortunate to Occupy the *single* cage cube at the shelter. JLL, if you do capture Freckles, it'll be your call to trust the shelter to take her in and not destroy her. If anyone plans to drive to WI, stop in the Milwaukee area and I'll do my best to get Freckles a place in my foster home. Please keep us posted.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

DurtGirl, we're low on bunnies here. Would welcome a few more.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

8 am Wednesday morn. Sun's been up for several hours. Looked to the west in our yard, there sit TWO cottontails munching on greens.

• DurtGrrl
    18 years ago

FurryCritterFan--I'd love to mail you some of ours. This morning the "Whopper Bunny" (what we call the biggest one) was crusing his usual route, and there were 4 smaller ones in other parts of the yard. Our yard is full of good hidey spots, grass, and tasty veggie plants :( I have got to get the "Lagomorph Repellent System" (fence) up but I've been too busy! Oh well...I have enough to share!

Last year we nursed an injured juvenile back to health--found on a walk--good thing I have a great vet who does exotics & wildlife rehab!, and released in a neighboring, non-cat yard. The neighbors are very excited to have their "own" bunny and it pretty much hangs out there all the time! :) Their miniature yorkie wants to be friends.

And I do hope that "freckles" can be caught--I feel so bad for domestic bunnies that are turned loose. I hate it that people sell them at easter like they are candy.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

That was Charlie??!! Oh, Charlie is a fabulous bunny!!!What a sweetie, he is, and I am so glad he was adopted. Yep, his agouti coloring made him look like a wild cottontail.

I haven't seen any cottontails in our front yard yet, but then again, I hadn't seen them by this time last year, either. And three litters were raised there last year, by the end of summer. I'm hoping all the shrub moving I did last year didn't disturb their habitat too much. I need to figure out how to get a brushpile in the front yard past DH ;-)

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

FurryCritterfan, I think JLL is going to give Freckles a good home herself ;-) after all, the bunny already has a name. And you have enough fosters :-)

But, I know what you mean. I think Freckles is a smart bunny, to come into JLL's yard.

• darbygirl
    18 years ago

Tonight while pulling weeds and unwanted, evasive flowers in a spot around those flowers that I am trying to keep and help to see more sunlight, I found a bunny nest. They scared me at first because I thought they were mice - so little although with hair but eyes not open yet. I quickly replaced the fur over them and covered the nest with some of the weeds that I had just pulled up because it is supposed to rain tonight and I don't want the poor little things to get drenched. I was too surprised to grab a stick to cover them back up and hope and pray that I did not leave too much of a scent to spook the mother so that she will not return to take care of her brood. What does everyone think? Please give me some encouraging words or I will worry myself to death about the wee ones.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Mama will come back just fine. I did the same thing several times last year, before I realized where the best nest spots were. Healthy babies were raised out of all litters. Of course, I did catch dear daughter putting rabbit feed out for mama. And hay too. :-) I warned her about 'sort-of' domesticating wild ones, as that would lesson their chances of survival. So, she contented herself with just watching them.

Oh, and North American cottontail mamas don't come around but once or twice a day, for about twenty minutes. Their milk is extremely rich, so they can just feed quickly and git. Less chance for predators to spot the nest. Don't be alarmed if you never, ever see Mama bunny at the nest. As long as the kits are growing, she's caring for them.

If you want to encourage the cottontails, you can put a brush pile around for cover. In my yard, the American cranberry bush viburum has provided a nice nesting spot under it's branches. Also, frequent beds with cover, rather than wide open expanse of lawn is ideal for bunnies, as they can quickly scoot for cover if they are out in the open when frightened.

You did fine.

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Great to see the extra messages on cottontails and good hidey spots, favorable vegetation and idea habitat! :) Let's hear it for protective cover.

How is Freckles? Does s/he still come by?

I planted those darn eastern cotoneasters in the shade. Ugggh. Noticed our neighbor's got 'em on the west side of her house and they're growing much better than my shade-laden-planting spot. Neighbor Sandi spotted a baby bunny hunkering around her healthy lush cotoneaster last summer. Plus I loved the look of Korean boxwood shrubs and got 5 bushes at Home Depot, same time I was buying hyacinths for my mom for Easter. Then I read boxwoods are toxic to rabbits?!? Duh, may have to put the boxwoods further out near the sunny compost plot unless that's a Bad idea too-?

Jean, and I gotta get pelargoniums in the front yard. Hope DH won't even notice your attractively landscaped front-yard brush hut. All while I'm caring for fosters, I'm dreaming of the ideal spot for collards, basil, parsley, mint ...

Yes, domestics are sold like disposable candy at Eastertime. Really sad.

Please keep the lagomorph stories comin'.

I was livid at DH when he weed-whacked some precious little plants and saplings on Mother's Day. Reminded me of the divorce thread dirtgirl(?) started.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

FCF, the boxwoods should provide some good cover though. As long as the bunnies know not to eat them. I still need to get those viburnums down to you. They aren't looking the best though, the winter in the pots wasn't their favorite.

I'm going to work on my cottontailhabitat this summer, after the 4-H rummage is over. I am keeping a sharp eye out for any mama or babies, but so far, none :-( But, that's possibly a good thing. Come to think of it, I didn't see most of my yard's litters last year until late June.

My DH was caught emptying the rest of his pump sprayer of round-up on the dandelions in my berm on Mother's Day. I asked him where I'm supposed to get dandelions to feed to Blueberry (one of our three domestic bunnies,) now? That made him think. So, he has promised to not spray in any of the beds. We'll see how long he remembers. I reminded him too of how he killed my delphinium and little bluestem accidently last year. I forgot about the damage he did to the lilac bush. grrr...I'm most upset about the little bluestem. He promised next time he'll ask before using any chemicals on my stuff. (I think he promised that after killing the little bluestem last year.) He gets the lawn, I get the rest.

He said he was doing it because I complain about not being able to pull weeds. Well, yea, so killing my plants and possibly poisoning our pets is going to help that?? Duh!! Maybe he could learn to help pull a few weeds, or apply mulch, or let the plants just fill in. I'd rather he didn't use that stuff at all, but at least he is learning to be more conservative with it. (But, I still have my work cut out for me with that guy. )

And I reminded him we can try Corn Gluten Meal. Actually, I did spread one fifty pound bag, but a fifty pound bag doesn't go very far on half an acre. Early next spring, I'm going to try more. And there are plenty of organic dandelions in the raspberry bed, so Blueberry can still get her treats. :-)

• tnnative
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My resident bunny has been around much less this last week. For a few days I noticed a second bunny hanging around, and once they were chasing eachother in the wild, weedy side yard. Mating dance? I've been on the lookout for babies, but I haven't been too thorough because I don't want to draw my dog's attention to them if they're out there. He is (thankfully) pretty oblivious to wildlife unless they run (he has stepped over numerous snakes without even noticing them), but he always notices what my husband and I are interested in.

I'm also worried about this #%#@ neighborhood cat that is left free to roam. He has already eaten one litter of bunnies from earlier this spring, and I'm afraid he's getting any and all subsequent litters. I don't know who he belongs to. He has a flea collar on but he's awfully skinny and unneutered. I love cats, but I keep mine inside or under close supervision outside so that he won't cause harm to himself or other creatures. We have a fence, but he can slip under.

• jll0306
    18 years ago

Thank you all for being concerned. She seems to be on a two day on, two day off pattern. She spent a couple of days in the front yard, sitting contentedly under a low and broad mesquite limb. I think that gave her a feeling of being in a hutch, and yet being able to watch the world go by.

I left her a trail of cabbage leaves to entice her back into the fenced section, and it worked, but I haven't see her since. However, it is not unusual not to see her everyday.

Thanks for the tip on food. She seems to prefer cabbage over carrots, but I'd like to find something irresistably yummy to get her to come closer. So far I've tried strawberries, broccoli, celery and a small peice of banana, without seeing much excitement on her part.

I read that they shouldn't be fed bread, but it was all I had one day, so i took some crumbs out and either she really liked them, or she was really hungry, because she was gobbling them down. Is this one of their favorite junk foods?

I have noticed that she is very possessive of "her" food, chasing the wild bunnies away if they get too close, but I don't want to overfeed her, so I'm trying to follow good healthy bunny guidelines.

And that's the bunny report for today!

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Bunnies can be junk food junkies, and many just love bread. I'd be inclined to temp her with the bread, just to be able to catch her. Thanks for the update. I'm so glad she has you watching out for her.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I always throw down cracked corn for the mallards, and the bunnies were constantly there. But, out of everything I've put down (thrown out, veggie wise) in the garden, apples are their favorites. "Sugar" has been here for years; she knows me and never runs away when she sees me. One year she was doing laps around me while I was gardening. But her offspring aren't as comfortable with me. I've never seen her nest or den yet, and haven't a clue as to where they actually live. I've seen a few babies over the years, but not too many. I normally see them when they're full grown. I'm sure I grow many tasty varieties for them, plant wise, but knock wood, only one baby nibbled on a tomato plant, once, and never again. I love them ;)

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

It's sickening when you think of all the outdoor cats who maim, torture, and subsequently kill the young cottontails.
    I hope you can do something to keep the neighborhood cat out of your area.

CSG, Will hold tight for those viburnum babies this summer. Nuturing them into bigger plants will be a rewarding project.

JLL, do you think someone else is also hoping to capture Freckles? I would try any snibbets to entice her to you, and not worry about healthy guidelines at this point if she's been ditched outside to die or fend for herself.
    This winter when I watched/studied Blr J and Nacho blr, they would get possessive over food substances.

Tracey, the laps by Sugar woulda been neat to see.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

I'm just wondering how Freckles is doing?

Yesterday FurryCritterFan and my daughter sat and picked ticks and fleas off of the most beautiful bunnie that had been found as a stray and turned in to the H.A.W.S. A more grateful bunny I have not seen. She laid very contentedly on my daughter's lap while her fur was checked through, and any resident critters plucked from it. My daughter and the bunny even took a long nap while FCF and I (chauffered by my son,) drove out to get some safe flea and tick spray to use on the beautiful bunny. She will make a wonderful pet for someone, especially someone who likes an animal to cuddle on their lap.

Dear son and I cleaned her cage, to eliminate any unwanted 'wildlife,' while the bunny was groomed.

(Only sad part of this tale is when we came home, I instructed everyone to peel their clothes off so I could wash them, and dear daughter went in the shower, in case she had picked up any 'wildlife.' WEll, either dear son or I had our new cell phone in our pocket. Cell phones don't wash real well! Arrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!)

I hope Freckles has been captured by now.

• jll0306
    18 years ago

I have not seen Freckles in about 5 weeks. Perhaps the person upthread was right in saying that when bunnies lounge around in the open it is a sign that they have lost their will to live, and she was ailing from a broken heart or an illness.

I never did get the chance to tempt her with junk food.
    Boo-hoo. My poor Freckles.

But thanks for your help, and inspiration. Perhaps I will have a house bunny one day. The problem is that my husband and I often take short trips. What do you do in those instances?

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

Bunnies love tall grass, strawberries, parsley, Ruellia, many other species of prairie forbs (but not prairie grasses), crocuses and tulips (the flowers, not the leaves), and, of course, clover. This year we've got a youngster living in each of two gardens, and I'm speaking from direct observation. Tne only thing I'm mad about is the Ruellia, since I just put it in and it doesn't have a head start on them. We had a resident hawk all winter that lowered the local cottontail population considerably, so my young shrubs survived the winter well. Now I'm worried about the coming winter, since so many young cottontails seem to have survived this year. Since these must be the offspring of the few adults that survived, it's reasonable to assume that they're particularly fit bunnies, speaking in an evolutionary sense. But frankly, given the relative absence of predators, the last thing we need in this old, built-up suburb is more fit bunnies!

The bunnies provide two benefits to my little attempt at a habitat--in the winter, they thin out young suckers, such as small chokecherry saplings that could overwhelm other plants, and nibble down some of the bittersweet vines. I think that in nature they must play a small part in keeping woodlands somewhat open. I just wish they'd always concentrate their efforts on these slightly older plantings and stay away from new shrubs, but I haven't been able to explain that to them yet.

They also keep the dog alert and active (for an old dog). She only sleeps 23 hours per day, since knowing they're there almost wakes her up at least several times per day.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Elaine, our Ginger dog gets her excercise by jumping up to sit in her bunny-watching chair too!! (I think she needs to jump up a bit more ofen!)

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

I feel sad for Freckles. I hope his/her end came swiftly. I wanted a happier ending to this story.

My husband is keeping tabs on 4 (suspected) domestic rabbits that look like cottontails near his workplace. :\

Again, a situation of IRresponsible humans dumping pets.

JLL: Hop aboard google and find your nearest House Rabbit Chapter. Contact them for a reputable pet sitter. And check out their references before you commit. Peruse a while here: www.rabbit.org, houserabbitnetwork.org

Call your local humane society. Can *they* recommend experienced rabbit owners/rabbit volunteers who'd bunny sit?
    Depending on the length of your trip and type of travel, some companion animals travel with... Some veterinary clinics also board rabbits for a short time; but please check that the staff is knowledgeable. I prefer that my furry kids be in the home environment, a comfort zone they're used to.

Please read up and learn all you can before you bring a pet into the family.

CSG: The stray rabbit your DD helped de-tick is doing just fine. Lucky gorgeous gal. ... We're hoping for more forever-home adoptions and trying to stay ahead of euth calls. Keeps us busy. (hugs to yours)

FCF

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Furry Critter Fan, I so wished I could adopt Clover, the beautiful stray you and my dd spent time cleaning up. She is so wonderful!! I had been thinking of other names for her, like Lacey, Daisy, Delilia, or Mercedes (she is beautiful!)But it's fine that the staff named her Clover. Her forever owners will likely rename her anyway.

My daughter is so glad she could help spare that beautiful bunny. And it re-inforced the notion that dear daughter will make a great vet tech when she is out of community college. It's so nice that dd knows what she 'wants to be' when she grows up.

Most rabbits do not travel well, if anyone is thinking of taking them on vacation. I've got my three going to an animal sitter I trust when we go on vacation. I will take them to her house, as they will get more attention than if she does in-my-home care. But that is only a short trip, maybe five or six miles.

• Konrad___far_north
    18 years ago

Hi all!
    Have taken a few shots of this...I believe white tailed
    jack rabbit?? Can you tell me if my ID was correct.
    Thanks,
    Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Rabbit

• pioneerwoman_2006
    17 years ago

Recently came across a nest of what appears to be 4 baby bunnies whose eyes are open and they are josling each other for position and comfort. How long before they leave a nest? Is it mother bunny who leads the way for them to a more safe location. There is lots of high vegetation on my property but she chose to nest them right next to my garage under a small low growing pine. The nest appears not to be deep but I am just guessing at that. Some of the fur nexting material has moved off of them from their movement. Should I put that back over the opening?

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

I think it's best you stay away from the nest. I say that because we leave a scent trail for predators to follow each time we visit a nest. Not sure if Furrycritterfan will see this, but you can google "cottontail rabbit" and find their natural history. Or email her! She knows all things bunny.

Good luck!

• FurryCritterFan
    17 years ago

I still lurk and smile when reading -and seeing- cottontail postings. *Elly's compliments are very kind.* Good advice to google. Off the top of my head I can't recite the best sites I've found for helping cottontail youngsters. By the sound of it, I'm guessing the kids are two or so weeks old. Though genetics make some youngsters super big and other cottontail babies less robust. Eyes open at approx. 7-10 days. If they jostle for best position in the shallow nest, they gotta be an adequate gram weight. Yeah, I would very carefully try to recover the nest with fur but the baby kits could also undo your well intentions if they are large enough to forage outside. If the fur is partially moved, i'm guessing they are sneaking about and nibbling area greens. Hope they won't be spotted by a crow or hawk or land-roaming predator and they'll move to safety real soon.

How long before they leave a nest?

Is it mother bunny who leads the way for them to a more safe location.

-Nope, they can just spelunker out on there own, get scared and scatter, or go searching for alternative safe haven.

There is lots of high vegetation on my property but she chose to nest them right next to my garage under a small low growing pine.

-Whew, good the nest is under an evergreen and near your garage to discourage easy spotting.

The nest appears not to be deep but I am just guessing at that. Some of the fur nexting material has moved off of them from their movement. Should I put that back over the opening?

-I'd be tempted to recover the nest and take huge strides away but sounds like they'll be mobile soon and move out.
    Mom will nurse for 2+ full weeks and start to wean around day 17. If they've made it to jostling position, I commend you for keeping the predators far away. Hope you can create some brushy or fortified hidey areas for the little ones...

I will ditto elly and vonyon's sentiments. Best of luck in helping them off to a good start ~ and cottontail-safe haven.

• FurryCritterFan
    17 years ago

Fifth and Sixth picture on this page are adequate sized babies, approx. 3 weeks.
    Last picture is a visual of youngens (orphans) who still needed formula from their rehab mom.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of baby cottontails

• tnnative
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wow! I can't believe this thread is still going.

We have our cottontails back this year, but they now seem to prefer the dense, mature garden beds to the overgrown lawn section we set aside for them. This is good, because it means I can now mow over there and plant gardens. We'll wait until mating season is over though, just in case.

Back last year I was worried/confused about seeing rabbits out in the daytime, but now it's a common occurence. They hang around our side of the neighborhood all day like cats, lolling and stretching. We have a lame one in our yard this summer. one of her back legs is either broken or congenitally malformed. It flops loose when she moves, but she seems fine and healthy. Been there all summer.

Its nice to see know so many of us are providing safe habitats for the critters.

I've also been delighted this year to see the expansion in the types of birds that come to our yard.