Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillmcm_gw

Our corporate neighbor

jillmcm
19 years ago

As some of you have read me complain, the water company next to us has been engaged in non-stop construction for over a year now. They never told us what they were doing last year, so when they called and said that they wanted to meet with us about this summer's construction, I was fearing the worst.

Instead, I had an incredibly pleasant surprise! Yes, they're still going to be building for two more summers, BUT - they volunteered to take out any trees I marked on the property adjoining ours. They have to take out another large group of trees anyway (sigh), and they gave me a roll of surveyor's tape and told me to mark anything else I'd like to come out. I just marked dozens of Norway maple and tree of heaven! Hooray!

Better yet, they have agreed to replace the trees and shrubs using ONLY natives if I prepare a list of preferred species that should be available to a landscaper. I didn't even have to negotiate for this. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

And they have agreed to work with me on trying to certify the plant grounds as a workplace backyard habitat through NWF. I can put up a screech owl box, other nest boxes, etc. and hopefully find some employees excited at improving the grounds with me.

Now, this is going to take place at least a year or two down the road, but I cannot believe my great good luck. It's definitely win-win - they won't spend any money that they weren't already going to, and I'll try to get them some good publicity for any efforts they make. And I can be assured that the good bird habitat started in my yard will expand to cover their large property!

I still wonder if I'm going to wake up...

(I also posted this on the natives board)

Comments (2)