Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do birds take over a nesting box?

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 20:36

I put out several nesting boxes of different sizes and different hole sizes. I am in zone 5. When (ie what time of year) can I expect birds to start using the nesting boxes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do birds take over a nesting box?

Hi: I'm in zone 5 on the east coast. I have bluebirds and tree swallows using boxes now. The bluebirds have 5 eggs in one box and the tree swallows have claimed the other box, but that is as far as they have gotten. They have been here for 3 seasons now. I believe they feel more comfortable and territorial here now. The bluebirds winter over here. This is the earliest they have nested. The first year I think they finally had a nest attempt in May (house sparrows kept taking over) and were finally successful in July. You may only have house sparrows if you have them in your area. They will out compete (and kill) every other species that makes an attempt to nest unless you help them.

o
RE: when do birds take over a nesting box?

I'm in zone 6 and the chickadees are just starting to build in the box they used last year - guess they evicted the downy that was using it as a roost box. I've also seen sparrows collecting nest materials, and the cardinals are checking out the old nest in the aristolochia...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here