Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

need help with a wildflower ID

dirtgirl
19 years ago

Ok I give up. Help. I feel really stupid about having to ask about this one, but I can't find it in any of my books and it's driving me nuts. Don't have a picture but I can tell you enough to get by:

This plant is in full bloom in the yard now, growing in profusion alongside cutleaf toothwort, spring beauties, dutchman's breeches and the many different violets. It is rarely over a foot tall, and the foliage looks very much like that of the dutchman's breeches only not as frilly and not as pale green.(Parsley comes to mind as well)All stems are varying shades of green with a faint reddish blush where they meet other branches. The flowers are rather small, less than 1 mm in length, are reminiscent of touch-me-not (impatiens)and are yellow and borne at the end of the branching stems. The seeds are in tiny little pods that look like miniature green beans. When the foliage is crushed, the fragrance is very similar to wood sorrel.

This is one of the most common spring wildflowers in my yard and I just realized that I walk through it every day yet I have never known its name.

Any guesses? Places to look for pictures of likely suspects?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville