Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clean Slate - Where to start?

Posted by rudysmallfry z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 20:57

I moved into a house a few years ago where the backyard borders a tidal marsh. Many species of fresh and salt water birds nest in the area. I have wanted to plant more bird friendly landscaping back there, but until recently could not since the area did not get enough sun. Mother nature must have liked my intentions because she toppled an enormous Poplar tree in the back corner of my property. What was full shade is now full sun. I'm anxious to put in some bird friendly bushes, plants or trees, but am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any pictures or plans for such a space? We're talking about a 20' by 15' area with salt water nearby. Not too windy. I'm in coastal CT. Lots of migratory geese, robins, cardinals, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clean Slate - Where to start?

You could start here:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu:591/search.html

Just type in all that you want and your requirements, and it will bring up plants for you. BTW, there are many shrubs and trees that don't mind shade.

Terry

o

That UCONN site is great, albeit a bit slow. I like the idea someone suggested in another thread of serviceberry trees. Looks like they grow naturally along wetlands anyway, so it's perfect. And they stay small, so they won't block my view of the water.

My problem is going to be finding a nursery that carries native trees and shrubs. I asked at both big box stores and they looked at me like I had two heads. No surprise I suppose. Is there anyone in the Milford, CT area who can suggest a knowledgeable place?

o

I found this list...scroll on down and it has nurseries available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Nurseries

o

Terryr, thanks for the link! That list is great, and most of the things I want are at nearby stores. I can't wait to get started.

o

You're welcome! Come back and tell us all what you've bought....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here