Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiggin

Praying Mantis / Mantids ?

dirtdiggin
14 years ago

A few years back, we went to Eastern WA to collect sage for our business. Upon our return, we found that we had a Praying Mantis within the bundles of sage. It was such an interesting creature and I wished that we had them locally. Well, since then, we've moved to a wildlife refuge and we have creatures from the strangest places...things I've never seen or even heard of. Of those crazy creatures, we ended up with a Fregate Island Beatle...he must have lost his way along the way to land here in the Pac NW...but let me tell you...talk about personality...or should I say run for the hills cause this beast is out to get you....

Anyway, last Fall, I found about a 5 inch praying mantis cleverly clinging to my seedling loquat tree in my greenhouse. I hoped that it would stay, but I've not seen it since. Well this afternoon, my son was out playing in the meadow near our home and he found this papery egg casing, which I knew had to be a praying mantis egg casing.

He was stand-offish and in fear of what might be in it, until we looked them up on the internet. So we now have it in our greenhouse and I'm sure it hasn't hatched as of yet, but what do spent egg casings look like? We will be moving shortly, about a block away (closer to the meadow he found this treasure) so should I just put it back out in the yard until it hatches and let the babies naturally find their way toward us, or maybe take it with?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Take it with you.

After the hatch, you will see the tiny exit holes in the case.

• lcpw_gw
    13 years ago

When the mantids hatch, they'll be tiny - maybe about the size of a typical mosquito. They need to eat bugs, and they won't be able to catch anything very big. Fruit flies are the thing. If you want to raise these (or some of them, for a while), I'd suggest putting some fruit or fruit peels in a bucket outside right away, to get a nice bunch of fruit flies breeding!

The mantid egg case is going to have a LOT of baby mantids in it. Probably too many to raise. I'd suggest keeping half a dozen, and letting the rest go in the meadow you mention.

I'm envious! Even if you only keep them for a few days, watching baby mantids catch fruit flies would be pretty interesting I think!

lcpw

• slr8
    13 years ago

I was at a local greenhouse (I live in Southern Ontario, Canada) called Colasanti's and they were selling Praying Mantis casings. A teacher was in there buying up the last two packages. I thought it would be awfully creepy to be gardening and then to look up and see these creatures peering down at me from somewhere. I have the tiniest yard and there would be far too many of them for the size to not creep me out. But they would be so fascinating to watch. My three year old son would think it was amazing! Have fun with them! Maybe you can keep us updated. Maybe I should try it out!

• dirtdiggin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting....today I went into the GH...and looked at the egg casing. I noticed a funny almost saw dusty like debris on the egg casing. I wondered if I had missed it before. So I picked it up and slowly and carefully examined it. It almost looked like it had hatched long ago. But I didn't recall that saw dusty like stuff on it.

Anyway, I pulled out a plastic baggie and set it down on it and went about the other things I needed to do.

It got a bit warm today...rain...sun..typical WA weather...and I went back out into the GH and looked at the egg casing again. WHAT IS THAT!!!!!!! It looked like a micro grasshopper...but with Praying Mantis legs....

OMG...it was hatching and a frog was sitting right there, slurping any he could get...

But I did manage to rescue about 6 of them. It still isn't done hatching either.

here are some pics...

{{gwi:1346330}}

{{gwi:1346331}}

{{gwi:1346332}}

{{gwi:1346334}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I hope that you let them finish hatching outside so that they can begin to find food. If not, they will devour each other. Mantids don't care who they eat....as long as they eat.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Just a little additional to rhizo's comment. After they breed the female generally eats the male. One younger woman I worked with had been watching two mate thinking it was very cool.. That is until the female bit the head of the male off. You could have hear her shreek across the whole floor.

• paulsiu
    13 years ago

You want to keep the mantis apart, they will eat each other. My wife used to work at a science museum that house an exhibit of praying mantis. By the end of the day, only one was left. My wife had to tell the little kids that the others to a different museum :-)

Paul

• dirtdiggin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting - We've had three hatchings from this same egg case since last Saturday. They stop hatching as it cools a bit. In the heat of the day, they hatch...and then stop and then start the next time it gets warm. Those that have survived the anxious frogs beneath the case, I scooped up yesterday after it hit about 70 degrees and the third hatching came out. They quickly scatter and begin foraging. I clipped a bunch of grass that is covered with aphids and placed it in with them. They are in heaven and so far, they are not feeding on each other, but on the aphids. There are plenty more where those came from. We will be turning them loose soon, it's just interesting to watch them. I'm not much interested in having a greenhouse filled with another 4 or 5 hatchings from these wonderful creatures and it has only partially hatched.

I think my frog patch is nervous and they know what will happen if these tiny creatures become big lol. When I went out this morning, there were three frogs surrounding the egg case. I know what they're waiting for lol. BTW...we probably have 50 or more frogs in our GH and 4 or 5 times that outside the greenhouse. You can't walk from the front porch to the greenhouse without having to walk around the little hoppers. They serenade us all day and all night too.

Well thank you everyone for all the info...it has been a learning experience and we enjoyed watching these little guys hatch.

• donnamarienj
    13 years ago

There are live mantis for sale on ebay. You can get two for one auction, and if you want, the seller would give you a "sexed pair." I thot that was a great idea, until I saw this thread. Would it be better to get a "sexed pair" or not?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting