Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone tell me what this is??

Posted by ggwrn 7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 22:31

Hi,
This is my first time visiting this forum in quite a while. I am hoping that someone can id this cocoon/egg sac or whatever it is for me (I posted at the insect forum also, but this forum looks a little more active). These two fuzzy looking balls were on a very tiny limb/branch on an oak tree. They look like someone took two little pom poms and stuck them on the limb. I didn't touch them, so I don't know if they are hard or soft. The reddish dots are pretty much evenly spaced on the balls.
I live in the piedmont area of North Carolina in case that helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone tell me what this is??

Interesting....
But i have no idea
You might try http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

lots of activity/knowledge
over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: name that plant

o

rhizo_1 at the insect forum identified them for me. They are wool sower galls. I have lived here my whole life and have never seen one before. They look very out of place stuck on a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wool sower gall

o

How cool! I saw these years ago & never knew what they were, but also never forgot what they looked like. They were in a wooded area we used to camp in, near a creek & all of my friends & I guessed various notions of what those fuzzies were but no one guessed a gall. I am ever amazed by the knowledge on these forums.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here