Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Flickers are remodeling my new birdhouse. What gives?

Posted by thaugen 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 22:40

I put up a big birdhouse specifically built for the flickers using dimensions gleaned from various sources. Used 2X12 and 2X10 lumber to provide some insulation, more like a hollow in a tree. Starlings were there a few days (ughh!) and then the flickers evicted them and moved in. Since then I hear a constant pecking inside the box so I think the flickers are remodeling. When I built the box I used the table saw to put a lot of grooves below the hole so the babies could climb up, and when I got the box in place I put in a goodly amount of birch shavings, but now I'm wondering if I didn't put in enough shavings or something else is not to their liking. Any suggestions about doing something to help them?
Thanks, Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Flickers are remodeling my new birdhouse. What gives?

I would leave them alone to finish their work. Evidently they didn't read the various sources :) But whatever you did worked, because they are there!

o

Assuming they are trying to make more bedding, I'm thinking about shoving some more shavings in through the hole. They can always throw them back out if I'm wrong.

o

I went ahead and shoved in more shavings, maybe raising the level by a couple of inches. Still nonstop pecking. So I added another couple of inches. Pecking stopped!

Flicker then sat in the hole looking out for much of the day. Now about ten days later she may be sitting on eggs. Fingers crossed.

So the advice to fill the nest box fully up (with sawdust), as compared to the advice to only put in 4 inches (of wood shavings) seemed to work better in my situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here