Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woodchuck and black flies?

Posted by Elaine_NJ6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 0:04

We have a woodchuck once again. The den at the corner of three yards seems to have been uninhabited for a few years, but something has been eating my asters, boltonia, and coneflowers, and the other evening I saw him. At least, I hope it's a him--last time it was a VERY BIG mother and there were 11 of them, including several litters that never left home. Haven't had woodchucks since we got together with our neighbors and had them all trapped (the only legal means of control around here). Oh well. He has good taste--my plants are the only natives around, and he obviously loves them. Last night he absolutely leveled a square yard of boltonia. They got too tall last season, and I was intending to pinch them, but not quite so soon . . .

As for the black flies. I never knew that we have them here in NJ, but I've been seeing some small black flies and getting extremely large, extremely itchy bites all around my hairline, just like you get from black flies in the Adirondacks or Maine. Horrible, and it never happened here before. Are there black flies in Bergen County?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woodchuck and black flies?

ElaineNJ, Please share a photo of your incisor friend if you can. Plus you can add the leveled boltonia. Should Wilma or Woodfro (and offspring) relish that vegetation, will see if it occurs in Wisconsin.

o

Black flies - is that why I am itching this year??? All around my hairline I am so itchy, never had this happen in other years.
also had my first tick! Gardening season is definately here!!

o

Don't send the flies my way - but we've had ticks out here since March, so maybe it all evens out in the end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here