Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?

Posted by kris2001 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 0:09

Hi,

This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend a seed or bird food that sparrows dont eat, but attracts orioles , finches etc? Last year i got discouraged when most of my feeder was emptied by these @#$% sparrows !!

Thanks...Kris.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?

Kris, The Sparrows are mainly attracted to the millet in the mixed seed. I use a feeder for Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) and one for Niger Thistle (pronounced NYger)I also replace the mixed food I feed in the winter with Safflower Hearts in the very early spring. I make peanut butter suit in the cold months and replace it with the store bought kind that does not melt in the summer. You would be amazed at the different birds you will get by changing you seed! If you have problems with lots of HOSPS (I assume you mean House Sparrows, I would not feed ANY mixed food at all.

o

If you want Orioles, put out grape jelly, oranges, or nectar in feeders designed just for them. Finches like thistle, and if the hole is small enough, thay won't be able to get at it. Unfortunately, Lisa's correct. If they're House Sparrows, you may have to stop putting out regular seed. They prefer millet, however, they will eat almost anything else if it's not available, including Black Oil Sunflower seed.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 07 at 11:45

Kris, all of us in this neighborhood have stopped putting out anything but niger thistle seed...the english sparrows were becoming overwhelming and it was to the point that we saw very little else in our yards year round (with the exception of robins).

Two years later, we have finches, both red and yellow, lots of chickadees again, gold crowned sparrows (not sure why, those can't feed from the thistle socks)... and a big plus, 4 pairs of swallows moved into nesting boxes this week that are not controlled by aggressive english sparrows any longer.

I couldn't help you with the orioles, much as I'd love to have them - not in this area. :)

o

Morz, I wish more people understood what the end result will be. I have noticed the same thing that the species diversity plummets the longer your encourage or don't do anything about the non-natives.

o

When you trap the HOSP though, you have to do a little encouraging. I've notice a sharp decline in them around our here since I started trapping.

o

Terry, what do you mean by encouraging? I noticed the same thing. I have much more diversity around here and less plant diseases. It proves the point that diversity leads to overall ecosystem health. Not a scientific study or anything mind you, but just my own observations.

o

I have learned so much from this forum! Thanks to you good folks I have stopped refilling the feeders with cheap seed (millet mix) and purchased some black oil sunflower seeds. I had no idea before coming here that HOSPs were such a problem. We won't go so far as trapping them but I have noticed a sharp decline already. And their biker gang buddies, the grackles, have decreased their visits as well. Phew! Those guys must have a nest somewhere close because everytime we were out in the yard they'd yell at us. Kinda like the chihuahuas beyond the neighbour's fence. But at least the dogs respond to their owner's squirt gun.

o

selkie, I spent a number of years feeding just the mixed food and didn't know a Sparrow from a Finch. LOL!

o

You mean they're two different birds? ;)

o

so if I'm already using black oil sunflower and I'm still ganged up on by sparrows and grackles, now what?

o

Pull out the slingshot. KIDDING!!!!

o

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think grackles are native birds. I am going to post a link and you can go and read about the HOSP problem. Beyond that, you have to make up your own mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bet's site

o

In order to trap the HOSP or EUST that already come into my yard uninvited and because they are such a huge problem here, I put down some cheap seed that they like on the ground near the trap and in the trap. From this site
http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm#traps
TRAPS

* The two main types of traps are ground traps (baited and placed on the ground) and nestbox or inbox traps (used to catch a single HOSP entering or claiming a nestbox.) There are other types (mist net, bottomless pit, tipping can, etc.) that I am less familiar with. They are all live traps, which means they are not designed to kill the captured bird.
* See review of various types by Paula Ziebarth.
* If you only have a few HOSP, go with a nestbox trap, as they are less expensive, effective, and directly address the issue of proliferation and nestbox competition. They may also be more likely to catch the older agressive male. My personal favorite is the Van Ert.* If populations are higher, get a ground trap. These may be more likely to catch juveniles and first year males. My personal favorite is an escape proof repeating trap like the Deluxe Repeating Sparrow Trap.

I should of said to encourage them into the trap....sorry about the confusion.

o

The reason those damn things are such a problem is because the idiots in prison feed them because, get this, they think they're cute. They'll pick up a rock and throw it at a Starling that's singing a beautiful song (cause Starlings supposedly "bully" sparrows), but they'll feed the sparrows bread until the can barely fly! My suggestion is that you replace the millet in your feed with bullets and bbs. Ha-ha!

o

• Posted by bbcathy 5-6 SE Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 10:04

The only thing I've found that hosps won't eat is safflower and thisle seed. It took my other birds Dees, Titmice, Finches, Juncos and such a while to get used to the safflower but they do eat it now. I still feed boss and peanut butter suet and regular suet for the birds but the hosps will eat all of these if they can get to them.
Cathy

o

I've stopped feeding the mixed seed to the house sparrows so now they go to the finch feeders. Who says they don't like nyger seed. They also love the black oil sunflower seeds. I have a magic halo around the sunflower feeder and for the first 2 weeks they were wary of it and wouldn't try feeding from it, but now, they are brave and hang on the vertical wires and even if I take out the perches all together, they still hang on the opening and get the seeds. They are not suppose to like suet, but they eat my suet. I don't think there is anything they don't eat. Their population is down considerably since I stopped with the mixed feed, but they are still around. Short of trapping them, I don't think anything deters them.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 11:27

Joan, what kind of feeder (style) are you using? If it's one designed for only thistle seed and the sparrows are still feeding, cut the feeding perches down to about 1/4"...finches and the smaller birds that 'cling' to eat, like chickadees, will still be able to eat but the sparrows won't.

Many of the thistle feeders are designed to be sparrow proof, either made of metal mesh instead of actual designated openings - they can't hang from those to eat, or with perches above the feeding ports rather than below them, sparrows don't usually hang upside down to eat either.

Or try the thistle socks, mesh bags that only clinging type eaters can use. I have several and rotate them - when one is empty and dirty, I replace it with clean and fresh and toss the dirty one into the wash with jeans and hot water, soap to be ready for the next use.

o

Morz, I have both an upside down finch feeder and a right-side up one. The sparrows feed only from the right-side up one. I leave the right-side up feeder filled because it seems some finches have a hard time figuring them out, especially this time of the year. I still have some finches around and they go to the right-side up one; they seem very confused with the upside down one. I believe these are young finches so maybe they haven't figured them out yet. I will try cutting the perches to about 1/4" and see if that stops the sparrows. Cutting the perches on my sunflower feeder doesn't help as the sparrows cling to the openings if there are no perches. It greatly reduces the numbers but one thing I can say about house sparrows, they sure can figure things out lol.

o

I'm with bbcathy, the only kind of seed I can feed in this area is Thistle and Safflower. I cannot even put out BOSS or the HOSP will be into it.
I would love to be able to put out other seeds but can't find a feeder that HOSPs cannot overcome.
Now I just need to fix my covered deck so they will quit nesting there......

o

At Green Earth Naturals you will feel the difference with our quality products specially formulated to increase energy, health and vitality:Crystal Sweet Algae;Plant-Based Enzymes formulated especially for Green Earth Naturals by National enzyme company, Essential Greens, Energy Probiotic Defense, Energy Q10, Cold-processed Organic Energy Food Bars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Based Enzymes

o

For the first time ever, I am feeding SAFFLOWER seed exclusively and have seen no sparrows or grackels for the 3+ weeks since I started. BUT, I am getting a family of DOVES or PIDGEONS. I am getting the cardinals that I really wanted and am happy to also get tufted titmouses, chickadees, nuthatches, and NO SQUIRRELS (YAAAAAAYYYY!)
I love the safflower seed and will never go back to mixed seed. I'm afraid if I start nijer seed, I'll get the squirrels back. We only have a few sparrows around this neighborhood for some reason, so far so good.

Love this forum and the sharing. Thank you.

Pat

o

I exclusively use safflower. Chickadees love it. Mourning doves eat what falls on the ground. A cardinal family stops by too. I enjoy having all those species around. Happily I haven't seen any sparrows or starlings take an interest in it, but I have heard that sometimes they can adapt to it if they're hungry enough.

o

I found that monofilament fishing line repels sparrows. Haven't watched long enough to see if it repels other birds too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here