Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shinobi_gw

Squirrels Eating Orioles Grape Jelly

shinobi
18 years ago

I have one of those grape jelly feeders for the orioles, but as soon as I fill it up the squirrels eat the jelly. I have it hanging from a tree branch with a 3' metal hook. What can I do to prevent the nasty critters from eating the jelly? Since I have many bird feeders in my yard, I get a lot of squirrels on a daily basis. Please help.

Comments (5)

• FurryCritterFan
    18 years ago

Do the squirrels have other natural food sources in your yard? Nut trees, berries, maple seeds, etc.? Gosh, I can't read the for-birds-only sign/s people post when they generously set out food. Squirrels and birds must love having you in their yard, Send us a digital image if you can.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

I have the same problem, I would just suggest making sure that you hang the feeder fromm a baffled pole, 8-10' from anything they can jump from. Either that or resign yourself to going through lots of cheap jelly, which is what I'm doing :)

• darbygirl
    18 years ago

I don't know what one can do about the jelly situation but last fall I bought the best bird feeder that I have ever had and not a single squirrel has bothered it - the answer to all the many years of squirrel problems that I have had. I will try to explain what it looks like. I hang it from a wire hook. It is made of metal or tin which doesn't rust and if you can imagine a fat hour glass, that would be similar to what it looks like. It has a tin top which unclips for filling it and the hourglass shape is made of wire so that the birds can cling to it and peck the seeds out of it. There is also a wire ring around the bottom for birds to sit on while they eat. The one thing that I learned by mistake - when the corn in your seed mix settles to the bottom, don't empty it out because it is a "buffer" that keeps the smaller seed from running out of the feeder. As the birds eat, some seed falls to the ground and the mourning doves are busy eating that since they aren't usual bird feeder eaters. I also have an occasional squirrel that eats off of the ground as well as a chipmunk but they are fun to watch also. I will look to see if I can find the name of this wonderful invention. It is super and plan to purchase another one.

• alberto1444
    18 years ago

Guy,
    Add some hot crushed red pepper or cayenne chile powder to the jelly. Birds are immune to capsicum(pepper)or find a better location, contraption.Good luck.

ALberto1444

• HU-177353810
    2 years ago

How about .22 caliber pellet rifle??

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County