Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Sock full of thistle missing overnight, how?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Good morning :-)

Yesterday morning I looked out my window at the birdfeeders and noticed the sock full of thistle that was hanging on a shephards hook was not there. The grass was a little high around the base, so I thought maybe it had fallen or gotten knocked down and I just couldn't see it.

Nope. Went outside later, looked all over the yard and have not seen it at all. I just can't understand how that could have happened. The sock has been there for most of the winter until now with no problem. It was attracting golden finches, woodpeckers, lots of birds. The squirrels were ignoring it.

We have squirrels in our yard, but they aren't that interested in our feeders. One is squirrel proof, one is full of safflower which they evidently hate, because they completely turn their nose up at it. Then we have the one sock with thistle, which I assumed they weren't too interested in either as I never see them going near it.

Other than the squirrels, I can't imagine what could have taken the whole sock. It was just filled up with thistle a week ago as it was very low for a few weeks. I did have one of those solid snack bars in a metal basket there last week, and the squirrels quickly knocked it down and ate it all up. Which I expected, as they love it. But, the empty metal basket was lying right there on the ground, not so with the thistle sock.

Any ideas what could have happened to it?

:-)

Adam

Comments (10)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

I don't know if raccoons like thistle, but they're a possible culprit. Also, some dogs love thistle, so if it was low enough, could be a dog snatched it for a snack. Either one could have dragged it off.

• hannah
    18 years ago

Squirrel or deer...they've raided mine in the past.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi again Jill :-)

Well our yard is fenced, so I would doubt we had a dog get in the yard, so maybe a raccoon. We have seen possum around here and squirrels but that is about it besides the birds. Oh except for skunks once in awhile. Haven't seen a raccoon in this neighborhood.

So hannah, have you seen the deer or squirrel get into yours? No deer around here, we are very urban/suburban and no natural areas near by. Plenty of squirrels that do make pests of themselves.

So what did you do? Did you put another sock full of thistle up?

Adam

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Coons

• roseunhip
    18 years ago

Grey squirrels are wild about it, at least under some conditions (lack of other resources?)!
    Last year, I had to helplessly watch one completely destroy my plastic thistle feeder, then spend almost half an hour eating or stuffing its neck with the seed...

• hannah
    18 years ago

I finally stopped hanging the sock feeders altogether.
    I now mix in the thistle with my BOS & Safflower seed...put'm in my baffled feeder...no more problems.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input. I guess I won't know unless I try to put one up again and actually see them try to take it. I imagine that now that they have taken it once, they will be looking for it. We have a lot of grey squirrels. I would just be surprised because it has been up for months and they have ignored it, and I can't imagine them dragging it somewhere, I didn't find the empty sock anywhere, and it is white and would be noticable.

I can see the squirrel nest in a London Plane Tree in the next yard and often see the squirrels on their way along the back fence up the tree.

Too bad, the golden finches were SO enjoying the thistle. I haven't seen them since the thistle is gone. If I mix it in with the sunflower seed, will that still attract them? What is BOS?

Adam

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds. My greys have never touched my thistle, or at least, they stop gnawing on the feeder once they figure out what's inside. Get a good quality tube thistle feeder with metal ports from someplace like Duncraft and the goldies will be happy again :)

• dragonthoughts
    18 years ago

I took it. and my birds are getting hungry again, please put out another.

• dakster
    18 years ago

I had squirrels run off with my thistle feeders AND my suet feeders- found the basket a week later when I went to mow the lawn. As frustrating as they can be, ya gotta love 'em- they really provide so much entertainment.