Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Help me get cat out of a tree!

catherinet
18 years ago

Hi all,

There is a black stray cat that lives around here, and this morning, I found it about 20' up in a tree by our creek. What to do?? I'm thinking of calling the local DNR guy who also doubles as animal control. Any tips for trying to get this little guy down myself???

(Here's what's so weird.........I had a dream last night that I had a black cat (which I don't), and a black bear or a black dog got it, and hurt it...........I don't own any black pets.......how strange is that???)

Comments (20)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Never mind..........it's out. My son put a long ladder up to it, and it jumped about 25' onto some rip rap!! Poor thing. It ran off, but I sure hope it didn't get hurt on that jump. It definitely used up some of it's 9 lives! Thanks anyhow.

• treebeard
    18 years ago

Just a hint for the future...

Unless you're a professional trained in the skills, techniques, and hazards of cat-extraction-from-trees, especially on a ladder, let the cat find it's own way down. Stories are far too numerous of would-be rescuers with good intentions falling off ladders when the 'poor little kitty' bares fangs and claws during the extraction...usually at the top of the ladder.

And do, indeed, pay attention to the man behind the curtain...he knows of what he speaks.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your tip treebeard,
    I had real reservations about my son doing this. I'm glad it worked out okay.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Cats can get down on their own - they just have to really want to. I think they know how dumb they look backing down...

• cooncafe
    18 years ago

next time open a can of smelly sardines. the cat will come down.

• navymom2226
    18 years ago

My little "princess" ran up one day to chase a squirrel/ and only way Icould get her down was to turn the hose on gently and swish it at her -- she absolutely HATES water and runs when I even do the dishes. She got down mighty fast.

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

I too would be concerned for the cat and would be upset untill it got down safely, however I keep in mind the Steve Martin joke about do you ever see cat skeletons hanging from trees? LOL

• storygardener
    18 years ago

About 25 years ago I called the fire department about a cat up high in our tree for hours. The dispatcher's reply was "Ever see a dead cat in a tree?". She was right...the next morning the cat was gone.

• davek913
    18 years ago

We were watching one of those amazing video shows one night, and one of the clips was a cat that was about 75 feet up in a tree. They tried spraying water from a fire hose, an extension ladder, the whole 9 yards. I can't remember what finally coaxed it to jump, but it did. Fell at least 70 feet. My eyes went wide, then it landed on the ground and took off like a cat out of ...Well, you know. They tracked it down to make sure it was all right, and finally found it hiding in a car's engine compartment.

I read someplace that the "unofficial record" for a cat falling/jumping and surviving in NY is 18 stories. I also remember reading that squirrels can survive a fall up to aroun 100 feet. It has something to do with how well thye can control their bodies. How they can twist and turn them and use them as a buffer and control the way they land. Amazing stuff.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Unfortunately, cats seldom do survive those long falls - but sometimes they get lucky. Longer falls are actually moe likely to be survived than midrange falls, because the cat has time to twist its body around and be prepared for the landing. On shorter falls, the cat does not have enough time to get its feet under it. Regardless, what were those idiots doing to that poor cat?! It would have come down in its own!

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Cat's aren't stupid. Cats who get up in trees are cats who know they can climb and climbed to safety for a reason. But they're usually younger cats.

Older cats have usually had the experience once or twice and decide that getting down from a tree isn't so much fun or easy as climbing them.

It may take a few hours, but if you leave them alone, they will find their way down because they know they have to. It's all part of the learning experience in life.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've seen this same cat up that same tree again since the first time, but just ignore it now, and sure enough.......it gets down!

• dobbs004
    14 years ago

i was reading this forum last night trying to find ideas how to get my 1 yr old 5 1/2 lb cat from 60ft of an old oak tree. my cat hds been up there for 2 1/2 days and she is just a year old and we had tried everything, and i mean everything. called fire dept, humane society, animal control, people who charge to get animals out of houses etc, built steps on tree, 40ft ladder, etc. anyways i read an article on line last night that probably saved my cats life. this is what everyone should do because i honestly believe my cat would not have gotten down. ive heard stories from people saying their cat didnt ever come down. shes an inside cat and this was her first tree to climb ever, and what a beauty to choose. heres what to do:
    go to the store and get rope, round laundry basket, some sort of weight. tie the weight to the end of the rope and throw it over the branch right next to where cat is. next tie the basket to end of other rope(make sure to sure tie rope all around the edge(in and out of holes) so its all the way around the basket), make sure 3 parts of rope and come together at top of basket in the center. we put her sleeping pad, dry food, a can of fresh tuna, and soiled letter all in the basket. u need to put something with a familer smell in it to make sure she will feel sake getting in. then slowly pull the other end of the rope and pull the basket up to branch right next to cat. we had to menouver it a bit and she was cared at first but after about 5-10 mins she slowly got in. just b very patient and try not to move the basket too much bc it might scare them. slowly lower cat down and slowly grab her. we were so excited to get her down, we were all yelling and it freaked her out even more and she ran under the house. if i wouldnt have seen this last night online i might not have ever been able to hold my kitty again but i do not think she would have come down!!! hope this helps yall because i know how upseting it is to have your baby scared up in a tree. good luck to all and never loose faith!!!!

• Liannagator
    11 years ago

THANK YOU dobbs004 for posting the advice you did!
    Our neighbor's cat got herself stuck up 20 feet on a pine tree limb.
    So I googled and found this forum.
    Then I ran to Home Depot, bought some cheap rope and used a plastic bin with a blanket in it. We threw the rope over the branch, attached the bin and she jumped right in.
    Apparently she had been up there all night and now she is wanting to live at our house instead. :)
    EXCELLENT SUGGESTION!!!! TRY THIS TECHNIQUE FIRST!!!

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

No need,..they will come down on their own.

• woff4
    11 years ago

my mother moved down to mississippi to my home town back in 2005 she bring with her 8 cats 2 dogs and 27 fish from palm springs ca to tupelo ms any way one cat was up in tree about 40 ft off the ground afther 3 days she called the firedepartment thay cam out got the cat out afther 45 mins it cost here 80 dallors as this is in the country and thay have no funding by state or county lol now i laught my a-- off lol

• JordanWalker
    10 years ago

Most cats will indeed decide to come down when theyâÂÂre hungry enough. If you think a cat or any animal is in trouble, call your local animal control officers. They're the ones best equipped to deal with any life-threatening situation.

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

My DH had a kitty that fell from a 60 ft tree. Cat looked okay at first, but x-rays showed kitty had split intestines and needed surgery. Vet said the fall had to be at least 60 feet for that type of injury and she was spot on.Kitty survived the extensive surgery.

• Victoria Powell
    8 years ago

I have a cat stuck in a tree it's prob at least 60 feet up there and no one will help how can I get her down she has been there for 3 days with no food or water she has been through storms and wind and still can't get down I've tried to climb I'm afraid she is gonna get to weak and either fall or die

• catherinet
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It would cost you, but you could hire a tree service with a big cherry picker?
    I'm not sure fire departments do that anymore. Good luck!

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH