Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Brown Snake

Posted by stoloniferous 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 10:36

The little brown snakes are out and about! This little guy caught me potting up some jack-in-the-pulpits, and stayed to watch. He was remarkably un-camera-shy.

Photobucket

There's more about him in my blog. . .

http://thecluelessgardeners.blogspot.com/2008/05/eastern-brown-snake.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
lol

A friend of mine LOL-catted my snake! :D

Photobucket

o
RE: Eastern Brown Snake

Hmmm...that's an interesting looking snake for your area.

I went to your blog and the first snake in the bucket is indeed a brown snake, but the snake in your pictures on this thread appears to be a racer.

I say its an interesting snake because it is very lightly colored for an adult racer from your area and yet it also lacks the blotches of a juvenile racer.

But despite the odd coloration and lack of juvenile patterning, it really does look like a racer.

Fascinating snake. I think it's technically a Northern Black Racer even though there is nothing "black" about it.

o

Thats an interesting thought, Wayne. However, the snakes scales are keeled. Brown snakes have keeled scales, and racers dont, according to the UMass site. (And I just learned something new about snakes, thanks!) A couple of other details: this snake wasnt all that fast, and also it and another very much like it were both hanging out under leaf litter, which sounds like the preferred habitat of brown snakes.

It is the same snake in both photographs, by the way. :) The bucket picture was insanely orange, so I tried to fix the color of the photo.

I keep calling it an "eastern" brown snake out of habit, but Im starting to think I misremembered the name I learned as a kid. I guess its just a "brown snake".

Another website: http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/stodek.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: UMass snake ID site

o

Well if its the same snake in both photos I have to agree with you. Stripeless morph of a garter snake also crossed my mind as a possibility, but I think you're right that it is a Brown Snake. The tongue flick is awesome!

o

You don't mention how long the snake is??

They're are two species of brown snake in the U.S..

Yours looks like a southern Brown Snake.

Dennis

o

Hi Dennis. The snake was less than a foot long. That's a dried up maple leaf in the corner of the photo, for scale.

I don't think there are southern brown snakes this far north. I'm in Massachusetts.

o

Yeah...that is definitely a brown snake (Storeria dekayi) - keeled scales give it away...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here