Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for shrubs - please

Posted by eclectic_gardener Plano (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 10:38

Hello,
I need to find some shrubs to plant on the north side of my home.
I would like for them to have wildlife value
(bird, butterfly or bee - not ground mammels) my dogs run them off.
I need them to take mostly shady conditions.
If possible be scented.
I need them to be non-poisonous to dogs.

I know this is a hard bill to fit, any suggestions?
Thanks,
EG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for shrubs - please

Butterfly bushes are beautiful come in purple ,pink,orange,white,blue.the butterflys,bees love them.Bushes with berries are nicein winter birds have berries to eat.I forget the name maybe and not sure of spelling (pacysandra)

o

I have a few butterfly bushes, but I do not think they are evergreen.

I need something that can handle water coming down from where we removed the gutters.

Thanks though, I do love the butterfly bushes (buddleis)
EG

o

The link below will take you to the Texas Parks & Wildlife site for "Wildscaping", particularily the page for plants in your region.

You can cross check the growing requirements of the shrubs listed be going to the Weston Gardens website here: http://www.westongardens.com/wgib starting page.htm

Just cut and paste into your web browser.

Thanks for thinking of the wildlife,
Jane B
NWF Volunteer Habitat Steward

Here is a link that might be useful: TPWD- Plant Guidance by Ecoregion

o

I have amelanchier alnifolia (serviceberry) growing on the north east corner of my shed. It gets lots of morning sun but not much after that since there is a tree to the west and of course the shed to shade it. It flowers and fruits well.
There are several culivars. I put a link below to a dwarf cultivar since you want something to grow beside your house, but you would want to research and see what does well in your area. I think amelanchier stolonifera stays shorter also.
The berries are edible, and birds like them too.

Here is a link that might be useful: amelanchier alnifolia 'Pumila'

o

• Posted by loomis Z5 Western MA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 22:02

Viburnum dentatum (Arrowood) tolerates partial shade. I have the regular one, as well as the Blue Muffin variety for cross pollination. They produce lots of berries that the birds like. Gray dogwood (cornus racemosa) also tolerates shade & has berries. The serviceberry (amelanchier) mentioned above is another good recommendation for partial shade, as it is a good understory shrub or small tree.

The following link may be helpful, and a Google search of shade tolerant shrubs will pull you up a lot of sites, as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants list of shade plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here