Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Grouping shrubs and trees around a yard

I'm just starting out planning/planting our rural site and I would like to hear how you organize your shrub/tree plantings.

Right now, there is mostly lawn to mow all the way to the road and in every direction. I'd like to leave an area of lawn that isn't annoying to mow (husband hates to finesse around plantings or be "grabbed" by thorns or poked by branches.

At the moment, I'm envisioning bird friendly shrub borders with smaller trees nearby that hide the (cross)roads and cut down on the NW wind. I have proably over an acre to work with and a nice view to the north where I need the wind slowed. (There are trees btw--very large ancient ash, and younger maple, ash and oak @ 30 yrs old max).

Do you plant your related shrubs in clumps near one another so that they'll touch at maturity? Go for a minimum number (3+?) of a particular shrub so that your yard doesn't resemble a botanical specimen setting? How do you place your smaller/ornamental trees distance wise from your shrubs to encourage birds? How about smaller ornamental trees distance from large growing shade trees? Can you recommend any plantings that would not be so high as to take away the existing N view from the ground, but could be fair wind buffers? (It's not the midwest type winds of course, but can dry things out or snap tomato plants!)

I'd appreciate any earned words of wisdom!

Comment (1)