Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bluebird house mystery

Posted by plf333 z6 Ca (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 11:59

Hi, I hung a bluebird house & for 3 yrs. the bluebirds have nested in it & raised alot of babies. Last year a different little bird, with a big voice, came around singing & poking sticks into the bird house. I'm thinking that doesn't look very comfortable for the little ones. Anyway the bird stopped coming around & no other birds came around the house either. Towards winter, when I opened the house, it was jam packed with little sticks. I mean JAMM PACKED!! Floor to ceiling! Nothing could get in there. What's up with that?!? Thanks for any info. Peg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bluebird house mystery

sounds like you had a house wren. some people choose to discourage them because they can be aggressive towards other bird eggs sometimes, but i myself have never had that problem. i actually like having them around.

and yes, they do enjoy filling nesting cavities with lots, and lots, and lots of sticks. :)

o
RE: bluebird house mystery

Yes House Wrens. They build Dummy Nests to keep other birds from nesting in their teritory. You wont have Blues if you don't take action. Wrens are native birds so you can not hurt them or their REAL nests (one that has a soft nest cup in the middle). Wrens will pirce the BB eggs and toss out the hatchlings, they can be a REAL problem. You can find out how to keep the Blues, Dees,TRES, TUTIs etc. safe from them at www.sialis.org It's as simple as a piece of waxed cardboard!

o
Bird nesting behavior

A small bird (sparrow or finch) built a nest in a holly bush behind my house. The nest had four light blue eggs.
Didn't bother to look at it for a couple of weeks then checked it. Apparently, young fleged but to my surprise, not the slightest trace of the nest remained and no debris nearby. Do some birds have reason to disasemble and remove the old nest completely?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here