Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No no bird feeder

Posted by abigail927 Pa (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 11:59

I purchased this to put on my deck. We are on top of a small mountain surrounded by trees. I put black oil sunflower seeds in feeder. My neighbor put mixed seed in regular feeder that requires pirching. All of the birds are using her feeder. What is wrong. The house sparrow is taking seed from her. Should I change feed or feeder? Help!anyone Thanks a heap!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No no bird feeder

Am not sure I understand your issue.
If you want to attract the same bird species than her (including House sparrows), then go for the mixed seed, which feeds a greater variety of species (...but lots of House sparrows, pigeons and voracious/gregarious "black birds").
If you are looking to attract rarer, native (often more fragile) species, then your choice of oil sunflower seeds is the right one and will probably pay off in the long run.

o

Once the song birds find your black oil seeds many will prefer your feeder. Black oil is higher in fat and preferable to many birds. What kind of feeder do you have? A platform feeder? Many birds dislike a perch and will prefer a platform feeder.

o

i keep my black oil sunflowers in a platform feeder. i think this seed is preffered that way. cardinals love it, but alot of other birds like sparrows, wont touch it, they prefer the mixed seed. get a mixed seed for songbirds and they should be flocking soon :o)

o

She has a no no bird feeder! I would suspect that the birds just aren't used to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: NoNo Bird Feeder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here