Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

The Impossumables

marilyn_c
16 years ago

I rehab possums and pick them up from the animal shelter a couple of times a week.

I received a call that they had two babies, and I hurried to get them because left uncared for, or not fed right, they can quickly develope permanent damage.

When I arrived at the shelter, no one knew anything about any baby possums, but they did have two big ones. Okay, I thought...I must have misunderstood.

The guy who runs the office had gone out for lunch, but was just walking in as I was leaving, and I asked him about two babies. Yes...he said they had two babies, and we looked and looked and couldn't find them anywhere.

I even had him call animal control and ask where the officer had left them. I live 40 miles from the shelter and didn't want to make another trip and didn't want them to go very long without being cared for.

The animal control lady said she had left them in the quarrantine room, in a tote on top of the washing machine, and they were wrapped up in some towels.

We went to look...and a kennel girl said she had taken the tote outside to wash it, and it was empty. She had put the towels in the washing machine.

My heart sank...the washing machine was going full force and full of towels.

We opened the door and took out the towels and in the bottom were the two baby possums. One wasn't moving at all and one was just barely moving. They were about the size of newborn kittens, and they were ice cold.

I took them to my truck and wrapped them in a tee shirt and put them on the dash where it was very warm.

By the time I got home, both were moving. Here is a picture made when I got them home, and a picture made a couple of weeks later. Both had pneumonia, but they have recovered and are big enough to be released now. I just need to take their final "Glamour" shots.

I call them The Impossumables...because no one thought I could save them. Fortunately, it was a front loading washer and the water was cold.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES