Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eatting my baby ducks in my lake?

Posted by Aloemem none (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 13:15

Can anyone clue me in to what is eatting the baby ducks? I have heard turtles but i don't think so. I don't have any snakes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eatting my baby ducks in my lake?

Here in Michigan it could be bass, pike, snapping turtles and eagles.

o

Growing up in Wisconsin with a dad who loved to fish, he always made the same comment when we'd see a duck and her brood swim by the boat: "Muskie's gonna have good eatin'!" and then he'd tell me how he'd actually seen big fish take the little birds from below "like a shark - chomp!" Poor little ducklings!

o

Don't have eagles but I do have bass and snapping turtles. I thought turtles were vegans.

o

What kind of land predators are common to your area? Could be something getting to them on land. Knowing your general location would be helpful, you know.

o

I would put my money on ths snapping turtle. Had the same problem a few years ago and finally had to give up on the ducks and geese because it got so bad.

o

fed, Seeds, grasses, little snails and other things in water

o

• Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 14:55

Around here it is the Herons....

o

My guesses are Eagles, hawks, herons, shrike, large fish, snakes, coyotes, feral cats, the list goes on and on really.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here