Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird habitat and food

Posted by birdsrwonderful TN Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 14:02

Has anyone had any experience with a plant called Mahonia Beale? I think the spelling is correct. I also think it is called Leatherleaf?

Our Electric company keeps coming around cutting everything down that gets close to the power lines. I know it's probably a good thing power wise.

They have left a big space along the chain link fence and I want to plant something that will provide habitat and food for the birds. But it cannot get too tall. I remember seeing one of these plants at Home Depot and looked it up and the info said it is evergreen for habitat and has berries birds love.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird habitat and food

I dug up some mahonia from work and planted it at home a couple of months ago. It's a plant that prefers dampish shade, and isn't doing too well here in the piedmont area of NC where rain is hard to come by. But I'm keeping it watered well, so hopefully it will be ok until getting established. The plants at work are huge and drop lots of the blue seeds all around themselves, so they spread like crazy. I've also seen robins on hopping all over the shrubs pulling off the seeds. But mahonias definitely don't like too sunny of a spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here