Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

I've got eggs!

terryr
17 years ago

I thought I'd start a new thread...

I've been watching the bird nest on the back door outside light and haven't seen anybody around it. Last night, my daughter told me there was a dead bird outside. I'm freaking, asking her what bird...and she says the one in the nest! I go running out, and the bird flew away :o) She was just sitting on the eggs? I don't know. This afternoon, I got the step stool and tried to look, but I'm not tall enough, or rather my step stool isn't tall enough. I hollered for my husband, he got up there and there's three eggs!! Here's two pictures of the eggs. Do they look like house finch eggs?

{{gwi:1346932}}

{{gwi:1346933}}

Comments (9)

• rsmallen
    17 years ago

To me they look like Robin's eggs. See here...the pic can be made bigger... http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/EggstraEggstra.html

These are house finch eggs...in the url below

It's a baby time in my yard too. I had baby doves...went to bed one night they were there, came out next morning at 6 they were gone...and not big enough to leave on their own.

I have a Robin sitting on a nest in my deck rafters, another sitting on one in the tangle of vines on the arbor.

Also in the tangle of vines a pair of cardinals nested and are presently feeding baby's!

Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: House Finch nest with eggs and baby

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If they're robins eggs, then the robin didn't make the nest. And it wasn't a robin that was on the nest last night. I'll have to keep watching to see I can get a pic of the momma or the papa! You're right though, according to your picture, these aren't house finches! Hmm.....the mystery continues....

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hmmm, even the nest looks like a robins! maybe a robin took over where the finches left off?
    cuckoo? just kidding. you'll know if an adult is surpassed by the baby in growth. :)

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The momma is sitting out there now, but it's too dark to get a picture. It wasn't a robin that flew off last night. Too small.

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ya know, how does begin to explain how much an idiot they feel like? I know what a robin egg looks like, but I saw the finches at least beginning the nest. The other night, I'm still 99.9% sure that was not a robin that flew away. It was too small. I went out last night with a flashlight and my daughter spooked the robin and it flew away. It is a robin. I can't figure out why the other bird was on the nest. So, the mystery eggs are solved, I have a robin. :o)

Terry

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found this on a website, saying it's a house finch egg. It's different than one linked above. Different color. This is weird.
    {{gwi:1346934}}

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

terryr....don't feel bad about this. If there is one thing that I have learned about the great wide world of nature, it's that the occupants don't always play by the rules as we know them.
    On two separate occasions last year (perhaps it was the year before?) I witnessed an eastern bluebird enter a starling's nest in our barn, spend more than a few suspicious moments in there and then exit ever so casually. This is a nesting site that is continually fought over by english sparrows and starlings, with the blues usually nesting about 15 feet away in a cavity between rafters. Within a day or two I found egg shells and yolks on the floor beneath the starling nest and I can only assume the blue had a hand in it. Of course this is completely unlike bluebird behavior, isn't it? Wrens, ues, starlings and sparrows, yes, but BLUEBIRDS?
    Sometimes you have to believe what your eyes tell you despite what you have read.

• dirtgirl
    17 years ago

By the way, terryr. I am so RUDE!!! I ran across the tail-end of the post regarding my bee experience and I mean to THANK YOU for the glowing compliments regarding my posts. Writing was always something that came easily for me, but it never really occurred to me that it could be anything more until I joined the forums and found a sounding board for my experiences.
    It came as quite a shock, the first time someone on here expressed a liking for my writing style because I always felt like my redneck roots were showing throughout every paragraph.. But I realized that there is such a thing as a selective redneck, meaning I have retained the nobler qualities of one born and raised in a rural, small-town environment and distanced myself from the less admirable tendencies such as stringing a cat up beind your pickup truck and driving around backroads shooting at any set of glowing eyes until your sixpack runs out.
    I guess it is a combination of this selective red-neckedness and a honest love for nature AND for learning that comes out in my writing. ? I don't know. I never really thought about it but in any case I am glad you enjoy it, Terryr.

• terryr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe the bluebirds were getting them back? I'd like to think that anyway.

I was born and raised in this little rural town. Some refer to it as being Hicksville. We have roughly 7600 people here. We're surrounded by corn and bean fields. So although I might be in northern IL, that redneck mentality goes far beyond both of us. Besides stringing up the cat and driving around backroads shooting, you forgot about driving around the back roads, drinking that case of beer and smashing any mailbox that comes into their blurred vision. Your writing style always puts the person there with you, seeing what you see. Your love of nature comes thru in a way that few people can express as eloquently as you do. I also didn't think you were rude. I don't think you're rude. And you're welcome!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals