Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickerdoodle564

How can you make a bird bath dripper?

snickerdoodle564
18 years ago

I have been wanting a bird bath dripper but just can't make myself pay the price since I'm on a self-induced budget. Does anyone have ideas for making one they would share? Thanks, Lisbeth

Comments (14)

• catherinet
    18 years ago

This is a pretty simple one, but I've heard of people taking a milk jug, and poking a hole in it, and then hanging it over a birdbath. Just be sure to leave the cap off. I suppose you could put the cap on, and fine-tune the rate of drip by tightening or loosening the cap.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

I have three milk jug drippers and they work just fine for me. Do leave the caps off, or they won't drip at all. I'd love to find snazzier looking bottles to hang, but the jugs work fine and the birds come flocking.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

Hey Jill,
    I've never tried it yet. What do you use to make the hole......just a needle? How long does a jug last? (the water dripping, that is).

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hi,

I am also wanting to start a dripper for the bird bath. When you take the milk jug and poke a hole in it, then you tie it to a branch above the bath, correct?

Jill,
    Do you have three milk jugs above one bird bath? I am trying to think of a pretty container, but coming up blank. Colored Glass bottles would be great but how to get them to drip would be the problem. How often do you have to fill the bottles?

Adam

• Vegemite
    18 years ago

What if you hung the bottle from the bottom of a hanging basket full of ivy or something that cascades? That might cover up the bottle with greenery.

• snickerdoodle564
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone. It made me remember once buying really cheap glass hummingbird feeders that had a cork and rubber tubing. I couldn't use them because they...you got it... dripped!!!!!! I bet you could make them from old wine bottles and rubber tubing. I'm trying it this weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Thanks Jill for clarifying that. I am going to be on the lookout for different containers too.

Vegemite, that is a nice idea too. I don't think I would use that as a solution, but someone else might like it. I would prefer the look of bottles or containers as like an artsy mobile above the bird bath sort of.

Snickerdoodle, I hope you will come back and let us know how it works out for you. Not quite sure how you are getting the bottles to drip. If you figure it out, please share. :-)

Adam

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    18 years ago

I used to use milk jugs, but now I have gallon jugs with handles on top. I think they came from fruit juice or Hawaiian punch! Check out your grocery store for juice bottles.

• vivilet
    18 years ago

I used a plastic vinegar bottle with a handle. I hung it on a pole,--or you can hang it on a tree limb.After hanging it up to keep it from looking ugly, I placed a hanging pot under it , and hung it to the pole too.Then I placed artifical plants it the pot. You could no longer the the plastic jug!!!!! Looked pretty good,if I do say so myself!

• copperrose7
    18 years ago

i used a metal garden stake that had a hummmingbird outline,and hung a large hummer feeder from it but filled with water i am going to use a pretty jar with a very small hole drilled in it,also a tomato cage with vines growing up it would work to suspend the jug up water sprayed green or any color but milk white

• Ninapearl
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1346958}}

a big graniteware berry pan with a hole drilled in the bottom. we just put a screw down in the hole, filled the pan with water and the water drips down the screw into the birdbath. it's very heavy when full and hangs by a chain from a cast iron arbor. the birds love it! when filled to the top, it will drip for 8 or 9 hours.

• Cinaet_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

Use a plastic gallon (or larger) jug as the reservoir. Poke a small hole in the bottom of the jug with a needle. Use the jug cap to adjust the drip rate. Attach a rope or chain to the handle of the jug. Invert a clay pot (one that covers the jug), place it over the jug and thread the rope or chain through the hole in the bottom of the pot. Hang the dripper assembly over the bird bath.

You can decorate the pot, leave it plain, or even substitute a wicker planter basket for a more natural look.

• rudysmallfry
    17 years ago

Cool! I have a beautiful glass hummingbird feeder that I can't use either because it drips. Now I have a dripper for free, and have an excuse to put the pretty glass feeder out again.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz