Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Really hot weather saved me from raccoons

paulsiu
13 years ago

Recently, a really large raccoon managed to break into my attic. It appeared to have had babies, so it would have been difficult to evict. I contacted a animal control guy and he set up a trap, which the raccoon avoided. He thought that the raccoon may have been trapped in the past and released, so she is wised to the trap.

Fortunately for me, the past couple of days have resulted in really hot weather. It's like 90F+ outside and probably like 100F+ in the attic. As a result, it appeared that the mom relocated all of the kids. The animal control guy said they can't stand that much heat.

I went up and there are no raccoon to be found and I can barely stand it for more than a few min. I did have to brave the really hot attic to try to close up the entrance area with some bricks. I also spray some coyote urine around the area just in case. May be when it gets cooler, I'll try to make some permanent reinforcements.

In the future, one way to get rid of a raccoon in the summer may be to tape up all of the vents and hang out in the basement for a few days :-)

Unfortunately, I still see the Raccoon wandering around into my yard during the daytime. Any idea how to deter him from coming back? My neighbor has the same problem, he complains that the raccoon eat the fish in his pond. May be he needs to have electric catfish :-)

Paul

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus