Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakster

Animal ID question..

dakster
18 years ago

If I were to post a pic of well say, excrement that I found in my yard, would someone be able to tell me who is visiting at night? I know it sounds a bit odd- or gross for that matter- and usually I am pretty good at taking an educated guess at these things, but I am stumped. Please let me know your thoughts. I didn't want to post a pic in case it would be offensive.

Comments (15)

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

You wouldn't offend me :) My 7 year old even has a book on IDing scat (gotta start 'em young, right?) You can also just email it tome if you want and I'll see if it matches anything I'm familiar with...

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh ok, I will do that as soon as Imagevenue wants to cooperate. ;) It is being testy.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

dakster.....LOADS of people have posted images of droppings in hopes that someone can ID it! Post away! I promise you that one of us will know who's poo!!!!

• WiValerie
    18 years ago

Give us a good description. Wear some rubber gloves and take the scat apart use a maginifing glass and give us a good idea what the scat contains ie seed casings, bones, fur or anything else you can identify. Where exactly did you find it in your yard? Shape size or approx weight will also give some clues. If you post a photo give some sort of comparable figure in the photo a hand or a ruler.
    I'm pretty good with pooh! VAL

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh I never thought of pooh dissection..hmm..well it is all chopped up in little pieces now b/c the DH mowed the lawn. So I only now have this picture. I have to say though it seemed pretty large for an average neighborhood cat, which is why I am curious I mean in relation to the size of the blades of grass it is HUGE! We have had skunks roam around- I think I had a burrow under my porch last summer too.

{{gwi:1346984}}

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Dakster, is there any reason it couldn't be a smallish dog? It does seem huge for the average yard mammal in CT. While we often think of dog poop as being in little mounds, I have certainly seen my dogs produce efforts similar to your mystery poop...

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If it is a smallish dog I will be ripped..seeing we have a leash law here and I don't own one. Of course my neighbor (behind me) does own 4 Pugs and one of her little ladies is quite the Houdini getting out under the fence- although she gets out it's really not often. But still I have to wonder, seeing this is not just one poop, but one of many that are in my yard and were in different stages of well, lets just say deterioration. Which would mean she would have to get out at least once a week and poop on my lawn everytime, which I find to be a bit unbelieveable.
    What made me curious about the rightful owner (of the poop) was that my hanging basket if nesting material had been ripped down and there was a rock hard poop on it, made me wonder if the owner of the poop was also the culprit of tearing down the nesting material. So when I went to the back of the yard to check on my wren house I saw this one- fresh as a daisy which made me realize this was not just a one time shot. Hmm.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

Well, I haven't found the poop book yet, but here's a few thoughts - it is very pale and uniform in color to match what I know to be the fox scat here in my yard. Gross question, but did it smell strongly? Raccoon poop is quite odiferous. I guess the uniformity of the poop is what made me think dog - usually wild critter poop shows more evidence of what they've been eating, unlike dogs which eat very uniform diets...

• hannah
    18 years ago

dak...here's a photo of Fox scat...it looks a bit similar to your pic, I think.

{{gwi:1346985}}

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

One thing about foxes is that they tend to leave their poop on rocks, logs, stumps, etc. as a way of marking territory. That's where I find the majority of it in my yard.

I guess I may be off on the scale - can you give us a guesstimate in inches as to how long the poops are?

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to say these presents are about 4- 41/2 inches long. There was little to no odor to it. Something makes me say not fox, just because of where I live. Very suburban- neighborhood was built up in the 1950's so the trees and vegetation suggest an established neighborhood, but my acreage- just as my neighbors is .19- wicked small lots.

• jillmcm
    18 years ago

You know, at that size, and that pale uniform color, I'm going to stick with small dog. Just doesn't look right for fox or raccoon.

Still can't find the poop book - my kid has too many books!

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh I hope it's not a dog, I have a hard enough time keeping the roaming neighborhood cats out of my yard- they eat the birds and "mark" throughout the yard. Stinks really bad in the humid summer. :(

• darbygirl
    18 years ago

While we are talking about "poop" - found some in my yard, actually in the middle of a plant which at first I thought belonged to my resident baby bunnies. But, when I thought about it, bunnies leave "pellets" and this was more like a little clump. Can anyone describe rabbit or chipmunk "poop" to me - don't know what else it could be roaming around my city yard. Deinitely didn't look like kitty or dog do-do.

• dakster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know squirrels make little piles. They do that every now and then on my deck and my adirondack chairs.