Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterberry Purchase

Posted by guysgirl 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 15:24

I just purchased 2 Jolly Red Winterberry bushes. I need a male polinator bush (Ilex x 'Apollo' is a possibility). What other male bushes would be good to fertilize the Jolly Red bushes? I need suggestions of Nurseries in NE PA and Upstate NY that would have them in stock. I am frustrated since the supplier that my source used to get the Jolly Red bushes does not even list male bushes in their catalogue. Is there such a thing as a self polinator? By my research, I would say no, but would like other's knowledge on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterberry Purchase

My understanding is that you need both a Mr and a Mrs to get berries. Now my garden center down here only has "Southern Gentleman" winterberry!!! I have been waiting hoping they will get in the females too so I can buy one of each. I live near Philly so it would be a long trip for you to come down here and visa versa! Sometimes even the big box stores get winterberries in. Have you checked everywhere?
Joann

o

You need a male and a female. I have the straight species, Ilex verticillata. Link below is to their site where you can mail-order them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musserforests.com

o

Not only do you need a male but you must make sure its one that blooms at the same time as your females.

For instance I have Red Sprite and the male is Jim Dandy. I know that the pollinator for Winter Red is Southern Gentleman.

I am not familiar with Jolly Red so have no idea which male would do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here